Software Engineer, Business Systems
San Mateo, California /
Business Operations – Finance /
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re building the operating system for the physical world.
We started in 2016 with video security cameras and an intuitive cloud-based platform, and in just six years, we've expanded to include five additional product lines (access control, environmental sensors and alarms, as well as visitor and mailroom management) that help enterprises to protect and manage their people and assets.
Today more than 14,000 organizations across 63 countries worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, intelligent control, and scalable deployments. We are valued at $3.2 billion, with $360 million raised in venture capital from investors including Linse Capital, MSD Partners, L.P., Felicis Ventures, Next47, Sequoia Capital, Meritech Capital, and First Round Capital.
This is just the beginning. The need for businesses to secure and manage their people and physical assets with scale and speed is mission critical and continues to increase. Our teams are energized by the complex challenges we work on and the platform we are building to make the schools, hospitals, businesses and communities that we live and work in safer.
As a member of our Systems Engineering team, you will lead, architect, and own the systems and processes that impact the Verkada People, Order, Finance, and Support teams. As our organization is still young, your decisions will have a massive impact, and you will have the chance to work with the latest technology stack.
- Your job is to write software that makes the company work well at scale. Make our systems work efficiently and reliably.
- Architect, implement, and maintain key integration points between business systems
- Decide when to build from scratch and when to use existing tools.
- Work closely with the key business leaders to help our systems scale
- Provide production support for various integrations and manage various environments
- Example projects might include synchronizing our financial, sales, and fulfillment system databases, or writing software to automate manual processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent field, from a top program preferred.
- 2+ years professional experience, with at least 2 years of software development or engineering experience.
- Systems and software development experience: you need to be able to write production code efficiently. You are a hacker.
- You like making people work better. If you’re the kind of person that gets satisfaction about building a tool that makes everyone’s life at work just a little better every day, you will love this job.
- Design sensibility - we pride ourselves on building an intuitive product. We want our employees’ experience with their internal tools to be the same.
- Process and operational thinking - you can tackle a problem independently and quickly iterate to a solution, and then also document it in a way that’s easy to understand for all audiences (especially non-technical ones!).
- Project management and attention to detail: you’ll need to be able to scope out a project based on requirements outlined by an end user and figure out what it takes to translate an idea into reality.
- Prior HR systems experience a plus.
- Prior tech company or startup experience a plus.
Perks & Benefits
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada, and Parents at Verkada.