Engineering Manager (Frontend)
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - Access Control /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
We are a small, dynamic team focused on building cloud-managed access control systems. It’s Verkada’s second major product line and is already growing faster than the flagship cameras product. It’s a startup within a startup with a fair amount of autonomy.
We're looking for a player-coach who can lead our front-end team in charge of the Verkada Command experience for Access Control and the Verkada Pass app experience.
We are #10 on the LinkedIn Top Startups 2020 list and #4 on the Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers 2020. In January 2020, the company raised $80 million Series C at a $1.6 billion post-money valuation and is backed by top-tier investors like Sequoia Capital, First Round, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
- Be directly responsible for building and managing the user-facing applications that let our customers manage, control, and use Verkada’s access control system and devices.
- Build the web engineering team by recruiting, leading, and mentoring
- Be able to roll up your sleeves and actively write code or prototype new features
- Inspire your team to create highly polished and delightful user experiences.
- Work closely with Product and Design to build and ship features and delight users and customers.
- Be accountable for driving project execution.
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders to define, communicate, and execute on goals, priorities and process.
Education and experience
- 2+ years experience managing, leading, and inspiring a team of engineers; including hiring, retaining, and managing performance.
- Experience working in an agile team software development environment
- Eye for design, product details, and polish
- Understanding of HTTP APIs and practical debugging techniques with the Chrome debugger
- Working knowledge of at least one server-side framework and one database system
- Degree in Computer Science or related Engineering field.
- Interest (or fluency) in TypeScript
- Experience with React Native and mobile development
- Understanding of SVG, web components, CSS/SVG animations, etc.
- Mastery of d3 or other charting libraries for data visualization
- Experience with Redux and Webpack
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.