Product Design Mechanical Engineer (Winter CoOp)
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Hardware /
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Designed with simplicity in mind, we currently offer five product lines (video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms and visitor management), which provide seamless visibility through an integrated secure cloud-based software platform. Over 12,000+ organizations worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, frictionless scalability and cutting-edge innovation. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
As a Product Design Mechanical Engineer Intern at Verkada, you’ll contribute to the design and development of new cameras, access control systems, sensors, and other enterprise IoT products. Verkada’s PD engineers own all aspects of the mechanical design from prototype to mass production. You’ll make a big impact — your designs will be a part of future products that Verkada ships.
- Take ownership of products from concept to mass production! Join a small, fast-paced team where you will make key design decisions and make a major impact on our future products.
- Prototype and analyze mechanical systems for solutions to product requirements relevant to enterprise hardware (mounting, sealing, environmental resistance, thermal performance, tamper resistance, etc).
- Learn what it takes to ship products and collaborate with a cross-functional team (work closely with Electrical Engineers and Industrial Designers).
- Design parts for mass-manufacturing: includes dialing in DFM/DFA, leading validation testing, steering overseas vendor collaboration, and learning about tooling bring-up & part inspection.
- Pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering or a similar field.
- Available for a Winter Co-Op (starting January 2023). Preferably for an extended term (4-8 months).
- Strong understanding & intuition of strength of materials, thermodynamics, and manufacturing.
- Experience with 3D CAD software.
- Experience with rapid prototyping, building & testing hardware.
- Passion for user-centric design: we design good-looking products that are easy to use.
- Startup Mindset: As a fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
Perks & Benefits
- Monthly housing stipend
- Wellness allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada and Parents at Verkada.