Director, External Finance
San Mateo, California /
Business Operations – Finance /
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re building the operating system for the physical world.
We started in 2016 with video security cameras and an intuitive cloud-based platform, and in just six years, we've expanded to include five additional product lines (access control, environmental sensors and alarms, as well as visitor and mailroom management) that help enterprises to protect and manage their people and assets.
Today more than 14,000 organizations across 63 countries worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, intelligent control, and scalable deployments. We are valued at $3.2 billion, with $360 million raised in venture capital from investors including Linse Capital, MSD Partners, L.P., Felicis Ventures, Next47, Sequoia Capital, Meritech Capital, and First Round Capital.
This is just the beginning. The need for businesses to secure and manage their people and physical assets with scale and speed is mission critical and continues to increase. Our teams are energized by the complex challenges we work on and the platform we are building to make the schools, hospitals, businesses and communities that we live and work in safer.
As the leader of External Finance, you will lead a range of externally focused finance activities. The role requires a broad base of finance knowledge across equity, debt, M&A, and structured solutions. This role reports to the CFO and will have significant engagement with the co-founders, CTO, VP of Product, and the rest of the finance leadership team.
- Investor Relations:
- Partner with the CEO and CFO on external capital raising including private growth equity, debt and eventually public offering.
- Develop investor messaging based on ongoing contacts with company management and building a network with bankers and other external finance organizations. Trial and error will be key as our business is unique among enterprise tech today.
- Monitor financial analyst reports and summarize comps/insights.
- Corporate Development:
- Execute early stage M&A opportunities, with a primary focus on 2-40 person teams acquisitions - aka “acquihires.”
- Source opportunities by engaging the start-up ecosystem (VCs, growth equity, investment bankers, conferences, etc.).
- Work with internal technical leadership to identify fit for these teams and jointly sell them on the opportunity to build products within Verkada.
- Manage and expanding working capital lending facilities with syndicate of banks.
- Develop and manage growing network of domestic and international banking relationships.
- Get sh*t done:
- Since we’re still in scrappy startup mode, there’s a lot of rolling up your sleeves and getting into the weeds to drive direct impact on a daily basis. We knock out today’s problems while also balancing our need to build for the long-term. We accomplish this through hard work, being clear on what’s worth tackling and what’s not, and ensuring a high talent bar.
- 8+ years broad corporate finance background: could include corporate finance consulting, investment banking, venture, LBO, growth equity, capital markets, M&A or related areas inside tech businesses
- Raw smarts: we are looking for people with strong business acumen who can approach complex problems and solve them from start to finish.
- High attention to detail: at Verkada, we pride ourselves on first principles thinking and sweating the details as the keys to business results. This leader should excel in these areas and set a standard for others.
- Excellent modeling/analytics: you have strong modeling intuition, and a good understanding of how to bring a modeling framework to complicated problems. Strong understanding of accounting and financial concepts is a plus.
- Flexibility: you are comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment that will require you to manage competing priorities, pivot quickly and often, mentor brilliant (but inexperienced) talent junior in their career, and continually build new processes as the company scales.
- High academic achievement from a leading university – Top-tier MBA or law degree preferred.
Perks & Benefits
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada, and Parents at Verkada.