Data Operations Lead
San Mateo, California /
Sales – Sales - Strategy/Operations /
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Designed with simplicity in mind, we currently offer five product lines (video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms and visitor management), which provide seamless visibility through an integrated secure cloud-based software platform. Over 12,000+ organizations worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, frictionless scalability and cutting-edge innovation. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
Verkada is building a one-of-a-kind B2B enterprise sales machine. With a sales team of over 800 around the world, we are changing the game in the $100B physical security market. We hire the best, from new grads to top performing veterans, and it shows in our results. That caliber of team requires accurate, complete and insightful data to allow them to perform their best. As we scale, we need more and better data to inform how we segment our customers, prioritize our efforts, decide where to expand and how to grow our organization. We want to invest to turn data into a core competitive advantage, and this is an amazing opportunity to build out a best-in-class data function.
- Constantly improve and iterate our data along the following core tenets:
- Scale: Design the structure of our internal databases to ensure they are scalable, support the operational demands of the business, and provide the backbone on which we can build actionable insights.
- Completeness: Grow our databases by evaluating and negotiating with external vendors, or looking at other creative ways to find new sources of data, often for entirely new markets or segments of the business. Sources include but are not limited to ZoomInfo, LinkedIn, public websites, CrunchBase and more.
- Accuracy: Ensure the accuracy and integrity of our data through constant monitoring. Execute data migration and data quality projects.
- Relevance: Prioritize the most important set of information that we want to maintain, and surface insights at the right moments to drive actions to improve our business.
- Evaluate the validity and ROI of new data vendors and sources
- Define foundational concepts upon which we build our system (e.g. what is an account, what are key fields to maintain?)
- Developing algorithms to identify duplicate, broken, missing or inaccurate data, and automatically fix or remove them from our system
- Collect data to generate alerts for when an account or contact is most likely to purchase (e.g. a key contact changes jobs, a company opens a new location).
- … and more!
Example Projects include
You will be joining the team initially as a senior individual contributor, working with and mentoring a team of junior data scientists and engineers, with the scope to build out aData Operations function in the near future as the company scales globally. Since we're still in scrappy startup mode, there's a lot of rolling up your sleeves and getting into the weeds to drive direct impact on a daily basis. We knock out today's problems while also balancing our need to build for the long-term.
- Raw smarts: You can deconstruct complex problems and solve them.
- Analytical skills: You have strong data intuition, can quickly structure analyses / data to answer key business questions. Excel and SQL, Tableau / Looker / data visualization platform experience are required; coding proficiency (e.g., Python) is a plus.
- Technical skills: Prior experience in designing, creating, and maintaining large-scale, complex datasets; an understanding of relational database architecture, and working knowledge of statistical modeling and machine learning techniques. Familiarity with standard CRM system structure is a plus.
- Process and communication: You can tackle a problem independently and quickly iterate to a solution, and then also document it in a way that's easy to understand for all audiences.
- 5+ years of professional experience, ideally in very analytical or technical roles.
- Bachelors or masters from a top school preferred.
- You’ve done something that proves you have initiative, tenacity, and grit.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada and Parents at Verkada.