Senior Backend Engineer - Alarms & Intrusion
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - Alarms & Intrusion /
Who We Are
Verkada is the largest cloud-based B2B physical security platform company in the world. Only Verkada offers six product lines — video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms, workplace and intercoms — integrated with a single cloud-based software platform.
Designed with simplicity and scalability in mind, Verkada gives organizations the real-time insight to know what could impact the safety and comfort of people throughout their physical environment, while empowering them to take immediate action to minimize security risks, workplace frustrations and costly inefficiencies.
Founded in 2016 with more than $360M in funding raised to date, Verkada has expanded rapidly with 15 offices across three continents, 1,600+ full-time employees and 17,000+ customers across 70+ countries, including 45 companies in the Fortune 500.
About the Alarms Team:
As a member of the Alarms engineering team, you will be responsible for building compelling user experiences for one of Verkada’s major new product categories. This is an opportunity to take ownership over software products which keep our customers protected in times of critical need.
You’ll be working alongside a small, dynamic team of frontend, backend and firmware engineers to develop these experiences. Our team operates as a startup within a startup, so you can expect a lot of autonomy and impact on the direction of the Alarms product category.
If you are an experienced, Backend Engineer who is excited about building new ways to keep people safe and secure, then we want to hear from you.
Who You Are:
- Excited about creating best-in-class products which protect people and property
- You can take an ambitious product or technical idea and drive it to completion
- You are excited about the idea of working on large scale backend services, computer vision pipelines and / or embedded systems.
- 4+ years of industry software engineering experience.
- Mastery of at least one common server programming language (e.g. Python or Go)
- Mastery of scalable backend design — Including databases, queues and blob storage
- Experience working in a fast-paced software development environment.
- Advanced software architecture and API design experience
- Good understanding of at least one relational database technology, including performance and load characteristics, transactions and locking
- Experience with some of the following technologies: Postgres or MySQL, Distributed high concurrency key-value storage (Redis, DynamoDB), Docker, AWS, Kubernetes, Kafka, Embedded systems (Raspbian, Embedded Linux, FreeRTOS)
Culture and Values:
- Self-motivated problem solver: At Verkada, you will tackle large, complex problems with no clear answers.
- Teach and learn: You will learn new technologies while being entrusted with the technical ownership of major systems, and we hope to learn something from you in turn.
- Growth mindset: As a small, fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
Perks and Benefits:
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Generous paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
$120,000 - $280,000 a year
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada, and Parents at Verkada.