Server Engineer - Rapid Prototyping and Production Engineering
San Mateo, California
Engineering – Software
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
Recent Projects For This Role Include
- Offline processing queue for reliably generating video exports in the face of unreliable remote connections
- Specify and add API endpoints to change camera image tuning properties
- Architecting distributed real-time data connections between camera <-> cloud and cloud <-> user
- Building a high-performance, multiplexing video transcoding service
- Defining and improving service-oriented architectures
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, preferably with research experience
- 2+ years of industry software engineering experience
- Mastery of at least one common server programming language
- Mastery of scalable backend design, including databases, queues and blob storage
- Experience working in an agile team software development environment
- Databases: good understanding of at least one SQL and one object database, performance and load characteristics, distributed systems, transactions and locking
- Software Architecture
- Operating Systems
Culture and Values
- Visionary thinker: At Verkada, you will tackle large, complex problems with no clear answers.
- Teach and learn: You will learn new technologies while being entrusted with the technical ownership of major systems, and we hope to learn something from you in turn.
- Startup Mindset: As a small, fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.