Senior Backend Engineer - New Products
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - New Products /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
About the New Products Team:
We are a small, dynamic team focused on delivering innovative, New Products that will change the way companies and their employees interact with their workplace. We are building a suite of IOT devices and sensors that will power intelligent, connected buildings through the Verkada Cloud.
Who You Are:
- Excited by new products and creating new things
- You think about delivering best-in-class products and experiences - not features
- You can take a less-than-fully-fleshed-out product idea and drive it to completion
- You think learning to solder wires or fiddling with a Raspberry Pi is fun or interesting
- 3+ years of industry software engineering experience
- Mastery of at least one common server programming language (Python, Go)
- Mastery of scalable backend design, including databases, queues and blob storage
- Experience working in an agile team software development environment
- Software Architecture and API design
- Relational databases: good understanding of at least one SQL, performance and load characteristics, distributed systems, transactions and locking
- Experience with some of the following technologies:
- Distributed high concurrency key-value storage (Redis, DynamoDB)
- Embedded systems (Raspbian, Embedded Linux, FreeRTOS)
- Big data storage (Cassandra, Redshift, BigQuery) and processing (Cloud Dataflow, Spark)
Culture and Values
- Self-motivated problem solver: At Verkada, you will tackle large, complex problems with no clear answers.
- Teach and learn: You will learn new technologies while being entrusted with the technical ownership of major systems, and we hope to learn something from you in turn.
- Growth mindset: As a small, fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.