Industrial Design Intern
San Mateo, California /
Design – Industrial Design /
At Verkada, we rethink what it means to be physically safe. We build disruptive, out-of-the-box, security solutions that detect action, identify danger, and keep people and places safe. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming a space that has seen little innovation for decades. Today we support thousands of customers and we are only getting started. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect.
As an Industrial Design Intern at Verkada, you’ll contribute to designing new cameras, access control, sensors, and other business security products as a part of a small but growing team of hardware engineers and designers. You’ll maintain and evolve Verkada’s product design language by designing solutions that expand the Verkada portfolio. You’ll make a big impact — your designs will be a part of future products that Verkada ships. This position reports directly to the Industrial Design Team and VP of Design.
- Contribute to the visual and physical language of our brand through the design of our hardware.
- Utilize user-centric thinking and good aesthetic sensibility to align our brand to customer needs.
- Work collaboratively with multiple cross-functional teams on complex technical programs in a fast-paced environment.
- Conceive elegant, effective ways to address ergonomic and mechanical challenges.
- Work closely with design, engineering, product management, manufacturing teams, and marketing.
- Contribute concepts and problem-solving across multiple projects.
- Collaborate in establishing core concepts and design specifications from initial research to ideation all the way to production.
- Translate ideas and sketches into 3D prints or tactile prototypes.
- Work with international vendors and manufacturing partners to define, specify and confirm CMF as designs move into production.
- A website or digital portfolio is required for consideration.
- A recent grad, or pursuing a degree in Industrial Design or a similar field.
- Interest in developing consumer or enterprise electronic products.
- Experience with camera products is preferred.
- Refining ideas through physical and digital prototyping.
- Experience working frequently with 3D CAD and 2D design tools like Rhino, Solidworks, Keyshot, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Experience solving problems in a collaborative team environment.
- A strong understanding of manufacturing methods, processes, materials, and constraints.
- Some experience with component architecture, placement, and packaging.
- Agency, corporate, and/or startup experience a plus.
- Manage personal projects from start to finish with a high probability it will be brought to market within a year.
- Potential for transition into a full-time position.
- Interaction with manufacturing vendors.
- Final presentation and project review with executive-level Verkada employees.
- Manage personal project from start to finish with a high probability it will be brought to market within a year.
- Potential for transition into full time position.
- Interaction with manufacturing vendors.
- Final presentation and project review with executive level Verkada employees.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.