Head of Engineering, Sensors
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - New Products /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
About the New Products Team:
We are a small, dynamic team focused on building cloud-managed devices including cameras, access control, and environmental sensors. We are looking for technical leaders that can drive the development of a new major product line at Verkada. It’s a startup within a startup with a high degree of autonomy.
As the new products are in very early stages, this is a hands-on role where you will design, architect, and build solutions directly in code. Early on, you are expected to help hire and lead a small team of skilled engineers. As the product grows, the team will likely expand and the opportunity may arise to grow into a senior manager or director role.
Not all products succeed, and we embrace that! The ideal candidate will run many experiments with the support of the hardware, product, and design teams to narrow in on the best ideas and ship them quickly to customers for rapid testing and feedback. A successful experiment may be one that fails, but points us in a better direction for future work.
- Work hand-in-hand with Product Managers to develop, execute, the product roadmap
- Hire a team of engineers (Frontend, Backend, Firmware, and more) to help improve upon the existing product and bring new products to market
- Work with other engineering leaders and product managers to strengthen the integration between Verkada’s products and further develop the vision of being the modern building operating system
- Leverage existing data to build out unique and actionable analytics and insights for our customers
- Work with product and engineering teams to develop prototypes and proof of concepts
- Collaborate cross functionally with engineering, sales, and support to deliver a best-in-class product suiteWork with executive leadership and major stakeholders to provide engineering insight and provide updates on progress
- Hands on development experience (Fullstack/Backend or Firmware)
- Built and scaled start-up(s)
- Hired engineers and grew teams
- Managed multi-disciplinary engineering teams (Frontend, Backend, Firmware, etc.)
- Executed deliverables against strict timelines
- Shipped products successfully
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.