Senior Backend Software Engineer - Streaming
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - Cameras /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
Our streaming team features strong software engineering talent with a lot of expertise in video streaming. Video streaming is obviously at the core of what we do as a video security company. We invest heavily in our streaming experience to ensure that we are providing our customers with the best streaming experience possible for both live video and historical video.
- Design, implement, maintain and improve Verkada’s video and audio streaming infrastructure.
- Ensure customers have the best streaming experience for both live and historical footage.
- Architect distributed real-time data connections between camera → cloud → user.
- Build a high-performance, highly-available, highly-scalable multiplexing video transcoding service.
- Define and improve service-oriented architectures.
- Write clean, maintainable, testable code
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field (Master’s degree preferred).2+ years experience of industry experience in backend software engineering.
- Mastery of Python or Golang and scalable backend design including databases, queues and blob storage.
- Experience with any IoT devices is a huge plus.
- Experience working in an agile team software development environment.
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment. Comfortable with SQL, Distributed Systems, Operating Systems, AWS, Docker, etc.
- Nice to have experience with H.264 and H.265 encodings, FFMPEG and other streaming technologies
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.