Software Engineering Manager, Backend
San Mateo, California
Engineering – Software
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
- Build and manage the backend services that power our network of cloud-connected cameras and user-facing applications.
- Lead, build and mentor the backend engineering team by creating an amazing culture that focuses on the user experience.
- Work closely with Product and Design to build and ship next generation products.
- Be accountable for driving project execution.
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders to define, communicate and execute on goals, priorities and process.
- Lead code reviews and be able to get hands on when needed.
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field (Master’s degree preferred).
- 2+ years experience managing, leading, and inspiring a team of engineers; including hiring, retaining and managing performance.
- 5+ years experience in a backend engineering role; including building and managing services on AWS in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Comfortable with Python, SQL, Software Architecture, Test Automation, Distributed Systems, Operating Systems, AWS, Docker.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.