Software Engineer (AC Server Infrastructure)
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - Access Control /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
We are a small, dynamic team focused on building cloud-managed access control systems. It’s Verkada’s second major product line and is already growing faster than the flagship cameras product. It’s a startup within a startup with a fair amount of autonomy. We are comprised of a dedicated firmware team that writes software for our hardware devices, server team in charge of our distributed computing services, and the front-end team in charge of the Verkada Command experience and the Verkada Pass app experience.
This role is on our server team building our distributed computing infrastructure and is ideal for fresh university graduates from Bachelor's or Master's program or individuals that have less than 3 years of experience.
Verkada is on the LinkedIn Top Startups 2020 list and #4 on the Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers 2020. In January 2020, the company raised $80 million Series C at a $1.6 billion post-money valuation and is backed by top-tier investors like Sequoia Capital, First Round, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Who you are
- Excited by new products and startups
- You think about delivering best-in-class products and experiences - not features
- You can take a less-than-fully-fleshed-out product idea and drive it to completion
- You are excited about building distributed fault-tolerant systems
Experience / Education
- Strong competence in at least one common server programming language (Python, Go)
- Knowledge of scalable backend design, including databases, queues and blob storage
- Experience working in an agile team software development environment
- BS or a graduate degree in Computer Science, Maths, Engineering, or science
- Software Architecture and API design
- Good understanding of databases including SQL, relational database design, performance and load characteristics, transactions and locking
- Experience with some of the following technologies:
- Distributed data stores (DynamoDB, Cassandra, MongoDB) and distributed data warehouses (Redshift, BigQuery)
- Embedded systems (Raspbian, Embedded Linux, FreeRTOS)
- Asynchronous data processing and stream processing (Kafka, Amazon Kinesis)
- Distributed computing frameworks (Spark, Hadoop, Google Cloud Dataflow)
Culture & Values
- Self-motivated problem solver: At Verkada, you will tackle large, complex problems with no clear answers.
- Teach and learn: You will learn new technologies while being entrusted with the technical ownership of major systems, and we hope to learn something from you in turn.
- Growth mindset: As a small, fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.