Backend Engineer - Access Control
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - Access Control /
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Designed with simplicity in mind, we currently offer five product lines (video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms and visitor management), which provide seamless visibility through an integrated secure cloud-based software platform. Over 9,700+ organizations worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, frictionless scalability and cutting-edge innovation. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
We are a small, dynamic team focused on building cloud-managed access control systems. It’s Verkada’s second major product line and is already growing faster than the flagship cameras product. It’s a startup within a startup with a fair amount of autonomy. We are comprised of a dedicated firmware team that writes software for our hardware devices, server team in charge of our distributed computing services, and the front-end team in charge of the Verkada Command experience and the Verkada Pass app experience.
This role is on our server team building our distributed computing infrastructure and is ideal for individuals that have less than 3 years of experience.
Verkada is on the LinkedIn Top Startups 2020 list and #4 on the Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers 2020. In January 2020, the company raised $80 million Series C at a $1.6 billion post-money valuation and is backed by top-tier investors like Sequoia Capital, First Round, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Who you are
- Excited by new products and startups
- You think about delivering best-in-class products and experiences - not features
- You can take a less-than-fully-fleshed-out product idea and drive it to completion
- You are excited about building distributed fault-tolerant systems
Experience / Education
- Strong competence in at least one common server programming language (Python, Go)
- Knowledge of scalable backend design, including databases, queues and blob storage
- Experience working in an agile team software development environment
- BS or a graduate degree in Computer Science, Maths, Engineering, or science
- Software Architecture and API design
- Good understanding of databases including SQL, relational database design, performance and load characteristics, transactions and locking
- Experience with some of the following technologies:
- Distributed data stores (DynamoDB, Cassandra, MongoDB) and caching solutions (redis, Memcached)
- Embedded systems (Raspbian, Embedded Linux, FreeRTOS)
- Asynchronous data processing and stream processing (Kafka, Amazon Kinesis)
Culture & Values
- Self-motivated problem solver: At Verkada, you will tackle large, complex problems with no clear answers.
- Teach and learn: You will learn new technologies while being entrusted with the technical ownership of major systems, and we hope to learn something from you in turn.
- Growth mindset: As a small, fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada and Parents at Verkada.