Camera Image & Video Quality Engineer
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - Cameras /
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Designed with simplicity in mind, we currently offer five product lines (video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms and visitor management), which provide seamless visibility through an integrated secure cloud-based software platform. Over 12,000+ organizations worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, frictionless scalability and cutting-edge innovation. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
We are looking for a great teammate who is dedicated to understanding, building, and enabling cutting-edge camera features. This role requires an understanding of different camera pipeline components, their impact on image and video quality, and a clear vision of what constitutes a phenomenal camera. You will run image and video quality evaluations through experimental studies both in-lab and in the field and provide direct feedback to the engineering teams. In this role you'll be a critical part of a fast-paced, collaborative team and work in a high energy, time-constrained, multitasking environment to significantly impact our image/video quality.
- Setting up lab and field environments for image/video quality testing
- Designing and conducting experimentsIterating through various parameters to optimize image/video quality
- Building automated tooling to collect data on image/video quality
- Developing a testing methodology to gather input on subjective image/video quality changes
- Familiarity in C and Python
- Experience in, or an understanding of, the methodology used in objective and subjective camera image quality benchmarking and analysis
- Excellent sense of photography and videography/cinematography (understanding on a technical & artistic level as to what makes a good photograph "good", and a good video "good")
- Deep understanding of digital photography, camera image processing technologies, and aspects of computational photography
- Understanding of conventional camera pipelines & operations and why they are necessary: sharpening, denoising, HDR & image fusion concepts, compression & video coding, etc.
- Focus on details, with strong debugging & analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
- Ability to deliver outstanding results under times of intense levels of deadlines and heavy workload
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada and Parents at Verkada.