Packaging Design Engineer
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Hardware /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
As a member of our hardware team, you will help to create a world class out of box experience for all new products. Verkada’s Packaging Design Engineers steer Verkada’s packaging concepts from prototype to mass production.
- Work closely with ID & ME team members to prototype, test and refine new packaging concepts.
- Serve as the packaging production lead within the hardware team. Manage packaging design for manufacturing (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA). Own execution of final packaging concepts for all new products.
- Drive package reliability test plans with JDMs and 3rd party labs. Lead packaging related failure analysis for structural, cosmetic, and performance defects.
- Work closely with HW & Supply Chain team members to manage RFQs, tooling kick-off and delivery for all packaging materials and in-box accessories across a growing network of international vendors.
- Manage production of labels & printed goods. Work with the Design team to review & approve artwork and manage revisions.
- Assist in development of drawings, assembly specs, and related SOPs.
- Work closely with Supply Chain team members to assess & hit new packaging cost targets.
- 2+ years in a packaging design, engineering or manufacturing environment.
- Experience with delivering world-class packaging solutions for consumer or enterprise electronic products.
- Experience with a broad set of packaging materials and manufacturing processes (pulp molding, thermoforming, die cutting, printing, corrugated box/insert construction, etc).
- Experience with vendor management, ideally with an Asian supply chain.
- Experience with packaging testing methods (drop, vibration, etc) following industry standards (ISTA).
- Experience creating and reviewing 2D & 3D CAD models.
- Ability to travel up to 15%.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.