Software Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - Cameras /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
The Infrastructure Engineering team is building a foundation for Verkada's product engineering teams. Our team is responsible for setting the rest of the engineers up for success by providing building blocks such as container orchestration platform, observability & service mesh. We believe infrastructure is not built in a vacuum, our output must make an incremental and measurable impact on the end product. The overarching goal of this team is to make the right choice for building reliable systems, easy and obvious. The team is small and growing and we need a very solid core of engineers with strong backgrounds in system engineering who have built systems from ground up before.
- Be solely responsible for managing the daily operations of Verkada’s cloud-based infrastructure that supports our network of cloud-connected cameras and user-facing applications.
- Build the Infrastructure function from the ground up by recruiting, leading, and inspiring a talented team of Infrastructure engineers.
- Provide visibility/monitoring/alerting into the health and performance of all of our services and infrastructure by leveraging tools like New Relic, Cloud Watch and Runscope.
- Work cross-functionally to continuously deliver Verkada’s products to customers on-time.
- Partner with the Information Security team to implement best security practices within the team, infrastructure and services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science (Master’s degree preferred).
- 3+ years experience managing, leading, and inspiring a team of engineers; including hiring, retaining and managing performance.
- 5+ years experience in an Infrastructure role; using AWS in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience designing and developing scalable software systems in Python and Go
- Experience working in startup environment (< 500 people).
- Experience with common tools such as: Docker, Puppet, Chef, Jenkins, Kubernetes, New Relic, PagerDuty, etc.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.