San Mateo, California /
Business Operations – Legal /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
As a senior leader (and initial member) of our internal legal team, you will help drive commercial growth while balancing business risk. Verkada is scaling rapidly and we need a business-minded senior leader to work across commercial, product, corporate, employment, and general legal issues. This role is NOT focused on cost cutting or pure risk mitigation per se, but rather on how we get to “yes” in the most first principles way possible.
This role reports to the CFO, will work closely with the entire leadership team, and will need to build out a team quickly.
- Commercial -- Largest focus area of this role. Medium/large enterprise and partner contracting on commercial terms, product commitments, SLAs, liability, etc.
- Product -- Partner with the VP of Product and CISO on product privacy and product compliance globally. As a provider of video security, this will be a significant focus area.
- Corporate -- Work with external counsel on equity and debt financing, board measures, and other corporate matters.
- Employment -- Work with external counsel on both routine and unique employee-relations matters.
- General -- Deliver excellent service to internal teams on vendor management, NDAs, and other general legal matters.
- Hire 2-4 additional employees within 12 months.
- High academic achievement from a leading undergraduate university and a top-tier law school.
- 8+ years legal experience -- entirely at a leading technology law firm, or split between a law firm and in house at a high growth technology company.
- Raw smarts: we are looking for people with strong business acumen who can approach complex problems and solve them from start to finish.
- First principles thinking: we approach every problem with the question “What is the right answer for us?" not just "What do other people do?”
- Ownership mentality: we sweat the details, we work incredibly hard, we drive things to the very end.
- Flexibility: you are comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment that will require you to manage competing priorities, pivot quickly and often, and continually build as the company scales.
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.