Staff Software Engineer - Detection and Response Platform
San Mateo, California /
Security – Security Engineering /
Who We Are
Verkada is the largest cloud-based B2B physical security platform company in the world. Only Verkada offers six product lines — video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms, workplace and intercoms — integrated with a single cloud-based software platform.
Designed with simplicity and scalability in mind, Verkada gives organizations the real-time insight to know what could impact the safety and comfort of people throughout their physical environment, while empowering them to take immediate action to minimize security risks, workplace frustrations and costly inefficiencies.
Founded in 2016 with more than $360M in funding raised to date, Verkada has expanded rapidly with 15 offices across three continents, 1,600+ full-time employees and 17,000+ customers across 70+ countries, including 45 companies in the Fortune 500.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
- Build, operate and improve Verkada’s Security Monitoring, Detection and Response infrastructure
- Onboard new systems and services to our SIEM
- Tune alerts to maintain high signal
- Automate data enrichment and incident response workflows
- Facilitate incident response processes and tabletop exercises
- Collaborate with the CISO and security team to grow the broader Verkada security program
- Share your security experience with other teams internally and externally via security conferences and blogs
- Help your peer engineers grow their own security reasoning and knowledge
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degree or equivalent
- 7-10+ years of experience as a software engineer, security engineer, site reliability engineer, or security consultant.
- Experience building robust and scalable products in public clouds (we use AWS)
- Proficiency in programming in Golang or Python
- Familiarity in continuous integration and Infrastructure as Code
- Experience designing, and optimizing high throughput ETL pipelines
- Experience and enthusiasm for learning about new security products, features, and strategies
- Excellent collaborative skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication
Perks & Benefits
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Generous paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
$130,000 - $280,000 a year
At Verkada, we want to attract and retain the best employees, and compensate them in a way that appropriately and fairly values their individual contribution to the company. With that in mind, we carefully consider a number of factors to determine the appropriate starting pay for an employee, including their primary work location and an assessment of a candidate’s skills and experience, as well as market demands and internal parity. For this role, Verkada estimates a starting annual base salary will fall in the range of approximately $130,000 - $280,000. This estimate can vary based on the factors described above, so the actual starting annual base salary may be above or below this range. Annual base salary is also just one component of Verkada’s total rewards package. A Verkada employee may be eligible for additional forms of compensation, depending on their role, including sales incentives, discretionary bonuses, and/or equity in the company in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).