Senior Firmware Engineer - Alarms & Intrusion
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - New Products /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
As a member of the Alarms & Intrusion engineering team, you will be responsible for developing the foundational firmware for our next major hardware product line. This is an opportunity to take ownership over something completely new — Our goal is to turn the products you will work on into a major new revenue source for Verkada.
You’ll be working alongside a small, dynamic team of firmware, backend and frontend engineers to develop this new product line. Our team operates as a startup within a startup, so you can expect a lot of autonomy and impact on the direction of what we build.
If you are an experienced firmware engineer who is excited about building new ways to keep people safe and secure, then we want to hear from you.
Verkada is #10 on the LinkedIn Top Startups 2020 list and #4 on the Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers 2020. In January 2020, the company raised $80 million Series C at a $1.6 billion post-money valuation and is backed by top-tier investors like Sequoia Capital, First Round, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
- Develop the firmware which runs on our new line of Embedded Linux and RTOS based devices.
- Help architect and implement entirely new communication protocols for these devices.
- Work with the wider engineering team to implement foundational software for performing OTA updates, securing our devices, ensuring they are incredibly resilient and making sure they are delightful to use.
- Help mentor other engineers.
- Contribute to other parts of the stack (e.g. our backend services), if that interests you.
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of work experience in a firmware engineering role and at least 1 year of experience in C or C++.
- Good working knowledge of common low-level interfaces: SPI, I2C, UART.
- Experience with embedded Linux based systems.
- Experience reading schematics (basic EE skills).
- Degree in Computer Science or related Engineering field.
- Experience with wireless communication protocols.
- Experience programming in Go and Python.
- Experience with RTOS and / or bare-metal development.
- Working knowledge of at least one server-side framework and one database system.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.