Senior Firmware Engineer - New Products
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - New Products /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
How do you build enterprise-grade, robust, secure, and scalable hardware, while moving at startup speed?
Answer: hire the best firmware engineers that understand the ins and outs of lower-level systems while also understanding how it integrates with the platform as a whole through the servers to the UI.
Challenges we’re working on: building a common device platform that supports multiple kinds of underlying hardware chips and sensors, scaling a firmware distribution system that supports daily updates to thousands of devices, and analyzing and testing different components to identify the best parts to build our next generation of hardware with. You’ll be working closely on one side with our hardware vendors and ME/EE people, and on the other side with server and UI engineers, industrial designers, and our operations team. If you’re looking for a fast-paced environment where your work is regularly shipping to customers and improving people’s safety, this is the place for you!
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or another technical field
- Experience with:
- linux servers/daemons
- linux device drivers, linux kernel patches
- peripheral devices over busses such as USB, I2C
- C++ or C programming language
- secure operating system and security focused programming
- Experience in one or more of the follows:
- iot devices
- cameras or imaging systems
- low power environments
- on-device computer vision
Culture and Values
- Visionary thinker: At Verkada, you will tackle large, complex problems with no clear answers.
- Teach and learn: You will learn new technologies while being entrusted with the technical ownership of major systems, and we hope to learn something from you in turn.
- Startup Mindset: As a small, fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.