Senior Backend Software Engineer, Core
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - New Products /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
Core Command is a new team created shortly after a successful launch of our Access Control product to help scale Verkada from a Security Camera company to a true multi-product building security OS. We focus on the pieces that are shared between all products and our goal is to help product teams move faster as well as turn Verkada into a scalable enterprise platform. As a member of the Core team, you will be the architect, designer, and developer in a broad range of projects.
- Build scalable distributed systems capable of handling high traffic from 100s of thousands of devices deployed around the world.
- Work with high concurrency key-value storage systems (Redis, DynamoDB)
- Spin up new services in a microservices architecture
- Help lead and grow junior engineers
Education and experience
- Degree in Computer Science or similar technical field of study
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience driving technical direction and leading teams towards project execution
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Mastery of at least one common server programming language (Python, Go)
- Experience with relational databases like Postgres, MySQL, etc
- Experience with distributed systems at scale
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.