Product Design Mechanical Engineer
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Hardware /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
As a member of our hardware team, you will lead the design and development of Verkada’s newest products- from new cameras to sensors to building control systems. Verkada’s PD Engineers own all aspects of the mechanical design from prototype through to mass production.
- Drive new products from initial proof of concept through to mass production.
- Work collaboratively with our Industrial Design team to refine prototypes, finesse parts and finalize CMF.
- Work collaboratively with our Hardware Program Engineers, EEs and optics partners to generate mechanical solutions which integrate a wide variety of electro-mechanical product requirements.
- Work closely with our JDM and CM partners to rapidly design, prototype and test new products; iterate and validate quickly.
- Develop, manage & execute our mechanical reliability test plans.
- Work with mechanical vendors to dial in DFM/DFA, then quote & kick-off parts at prototype and MP quantities. Own tooling release, bring up and validation for a broad variety of parts & processes.
- Lead root cause & failure analysis work throughout the product development & production process.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- 4+ years of experience designing and manufacturing enterprise or consumer electronic products
- Strong understanding of different material types and manufacturing processes. We value both breadth and depth.
- Passion for designing aesthetically pleasing but easy to use hardware; always have an eye on how our customers will use our products
- Experience working with an Asian supply chain
- Experience working with part vendors on DFM, tooling bring up and validation
- Ability to travel internationally up to 15%
- Startup Mindset: As a fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
- A good eye for design and interest in ID; knowledge of CMF specs
- Experience integrating thermal management solutions, optics and/or sensors into your mechanical designs
- Experience designing products for harsh environments
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.