Product Design Mechanical Engineer
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Hardware /
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Designed with simplicity in mind, we currently offer five product lines (video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms and visitor management), which provide seamless visibility through an integrated secure cloud-based software platform. Over 9,700+ organizations worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, frictionless scalability and cutting-edge innovation. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
As a Product Design Mechanical Engineer at Verkada, you’ll contribute to the design and development of new cameras, access control systems, sensors, and other enterprise IoT products. Verkada’s PD engineers own all aspects of the mechanical design from prototype through to mass production.
- Drive new products from initial proof of concept through to mass production.
- Generate mechanical solutions for a wide variety of product requirements relevant to enterprise hardware (mounting, sealing, environmental resistance, thermals, tamper resistance, etc).
- Collaborate with our Electrical Engineering team to integrate PCBAs, sensors, interconnects, and other electro-mechanical elements into your designs.
- Collaborate with our Industrial Design team to explore, prototype & test new product concepts. Collaborate with ID to finalize product form & CMF.
- Work with mechanical vendors to dial in DFM/DFA, then quote & kick-off parts at prototype and production quantities. Own tooling release, bring up and validation for a broad variety of parts & processes.
- Develop, manage & execute mechanical reliability test plans and various DoEs. Assist with failure analysis and root cause analysis; troubleshoot, iterate, and validate quickly.
- Work closely with our JDM and CM partners to steer your product concepts through validation builds (EVT, DVT, PVT) & into mass production.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- 4+ years of experience designing and manufacturing enterprise or consumer electronic products
- Mastery of 3D CAD software.
- Experience getting hands-on with building & testing hardware.
- Strong understanding & intuition regarding strength of materials, thermodynamics, and manufacturing. We value both breadth and depth.
- Experience integrating thermal management solutions, optics and/or electronics into your mechanical designs.
- Experience working with an Asian supply chain.
- Experience working with part vendors on DFM, tooling bring up and validation.
- Experience designing products for harsh environments.
- Passion for designing aesthetically pleasing but easy to use hardware. Experience working directly with Industrial Designers. Knowledge of CMF specs.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 15%.
- Startup Mindset: As a fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
Perks & Benefits
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Generous paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada and Parents at Verkada.