Industrial Designer, Packaging
San Mateo, California /
Design – Industrial Design /
At Verkada, we rethink what it means to be physically safe. We build disruptive, out-of-the-box, security solutions that detect action, identify danger, and keep people and places safe. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming a space that has seen little innovation for decades. Today we support thousands of customers and we are only getting started. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect.
As a Packaging Industrial Designer at Verkada, you’ll develop packaging for all new products as a part of a growing team of hardware engineers and designers. You’ll maintain and evolve Verkada’s product design language by creating packaging solutions that emulate our core brand principles, reduce ecological impact, and deliver premium out of box experiences for our customers. You’ll make a big impact — your designs will be a part of Verkada’s quickly expanding portfolio of products. This position reports directly to the VP of Design.
- Contribute to the visual and physical language of our brand through the design of our packaging.
- Utilize user-centric thinking and strong aesthetic sensibility to align our brand to customer needs.
- Work collaboratively with design, engineering, manufacturing, operations and marketing on complex technical programs in a fast-paced environment.
- Contribute concepts and problem solving across multiple projects.
- Collaborate in establishing core concepts and design specifications from initial research to ideation all the way to production.
- Translate ideas and sketches into structural prototypes, 3D renderings and packaging dielines.
- Deliver packaging design concepts with a high level of sensitivity to form and function, attention to detail and conceptual clarity.
- Conceive elegant, effective ways to address manufacturable & structural packaging challenges.
- Effectively present your design concepts and strategy to peers and key stakeholders.
- Develop quick start guide layouts, content & technical drawings.
- Research and present new package materials, techniques or user insights.
- Drive and influence the development of Verkada packaging sustainability initiatives.
- Design for multiple sizes and SKUs, and implement systems for packaging across a broad range of products, with varying materials, weights, shapes and sizes.
- Work with international vendors and manufacturing partners to define, specify and confirm CMF as designs move into production.
- Maintain or advance packaging quality standards by reviewing production samples and test results.
- A website or digital portfolio is required for consideration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Packaging Engineering, Packaging Design or related field.
- 3+ years of experience developing consumer or enterprise electronic product packaging solutions.
- Experience with camera products is preferred.
- Experience exploring and refining ideas through physical and digital prototyping.
- Experience working frequently in 2D and 3D structural packaging design tools such as ArtiosCAD, Solidworks, Rhino, Keyshot, C4D, Adobe Creative Suite etc.
- Experience solving problems in a collaborative team environment.
- A strong understanding of manufacturing methods, processes, and ecological impact of various substrates such as corrugated structures, molded fibers, PCR plastics, and printing techniques.
- A proven track record of designing challenging and innovative consumer packaging solutions across different materials, sizes and forms.
- Agency and/or startup experience a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 15%.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.