Senior Backend Engineer - Events and Notifications
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - Cameras /
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Designed with simplicity in mind, we currently offer five product lines (video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms and visitor management), which provide seamless visibility through an integrated secure cloud-based software platform. Over 9,700+ organizations worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, frictionless scalability and cutting-edge innovation. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
Our team owns the Events and Notifications portion of Command, Verkada’s user portal. Our customers rely on our notifications to stay on top of live events, e.g., gatherings that could increase the spread of COVID-19, persons of interest entering buildings or simply knowing when to let the delivery person in. Whether our user is a security guard or an entrepreneur on the go, we want to make it easy for them to keep their spaces safe.
- Build scalable systems capable of handling high traffic from our security cameras deployed around the world.
- Own and maintain a public API that our customers use to pull historical footage.
- Develop internal tools to help our engineering and marketing teams.
- Build back end applications from end-to-end with an ‘owner’s’ mentality.
- Communicate with engineering teams throughout the organization to build world class products.
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field.
- 5+ years of professional experience as a Back End Engineer, ideally at a rapidly growing start up or innovative company.
- Demonstrated expertise in either Python or GoLang. Experience with either Java or C++ would be a plus.
- Experience working with both relational and non-relational databases. We use MySQL, Dynamo, Postgres, amongst others.
- History of shipping out significant products. We are looking for someone who can own backend systems end-to-end.
- Some experience with Kubernetes would be a plus.
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada and Parents at Verkada.