Senior Backend Engineer - Events and Notifications
San Mateo, California /
Engineering – Software - Cameras /
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
Our team owns the Events and Notifications portion of Command, Verkada’s user portal. Our customers rely on our notifications to stay on top of live events, e.g., gatherings that could increase the spread of COVID-19, persons of interest entering buildings or simply knowing when to let the delivery person in. Whether our user is a security guard or an entrepreneur on the go, we want to make it easy for them to keep their spaces safe.
- Build scalable systems capable of handling high traffic from our security cameras deployed around the world.
- Own and maintain a public API that our customers use to pull historical footage.
- Develop internal tools to help our engineering and marketing teams.
- Build front end applications from end-to-end with an ‘owner’s’ mentality.
- Communicate with engineering teams throughout the organization to build world class products.
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field.
- 5+ years of professional experience as a Back End Engineer, ideally at a rapidly growing start up or innovative company.
- Demonstrated expertise in either Python or GoLang. Experience with either Java or C++ would be a plus.
- Experience working with both relational and non-relational databases. We use MySQL, Dynamo, Postgres, amongst others.
- History of shipping out significant products. We are looking for someone who can own backend systems end-to-end.
- Some experience with Kubernetes would be a plus.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.