Director of Computer Vision
San Mateo, California
Engineering – Software
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
We're looking for an experienced engineering leader in computer vision. You'll direct our efforts in deep learning and image processing with the goal of improving the safety and security of organizations around the world.
The security camera industry is huge and growing, but it hasn't adopted the latest advances in computer vision. No one looks at the vast majority of the petabytes of video recorded by security cameras. We want to apply cutting edge research to this dataset to solve real customer problems and improve real-time security everywhere from schools to offices to cities.
• Analyze the latest research to discover the next real-world applications we should pursue
• Deliver product features based on computer vision and evaluate the results
• Grow the team. We're actively recruiting the smartest people to join our team, and you'll be a leader in the hiring process
• Evaluate computer vision, deep learning, and traditional image processing algorithms from a theoretical and a practical basis (e.g. cloud scalability and embedded performance)
• Understand customer needs and balance asks against cost and technical feasibility
• Build the future. You'll work directly with the company leadership to formulate strategies around computer vision and Verkada products
- Build general purpose people and object detection algorithms tuned to our data
- Retrain a CNN architecture to run efficiently on embedded devices
- Build segmentation and recognition algorithms for specific classes of objects
- Extend a machine learning pipeline that can process a million images a minute
- PhD in computer science, mathematics or related discipline with focus on computer vision or machine learning, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years leading multiple software engineering and computer vision (or related) teams
- Ability to code in Python using at least one of Tensorflow, Caffe, Pytorch, OpenCV, etc.
- Strong mathematical fundamentals, including linear algebra and numerical methods
- Experience executing technical roadmaps, proven track record of developing computer vision and advanced imaging algorithms and solutions
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Flexible, easy-going, team-first perspective - we're a startup! We move fast, make mistakes, and adapt to what we learn. We work as a team to develop and build our ideas
- Comfortable with ambiguity and open-ended problems. We're solving real world problems that no one has tackled before. You'll have the full support of the team and endless amounts of real world data
Ways to Stand Out
- Real-world experience with camera systems, understanding optics and lighting variations
- Experience building a team, from recruiting to hiring to managing
- Strong understanding of software architecture and design principles
- Experience with embedded systems and computer vision on low-powered devices, network pruning, C or C++ programming expertise
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.