Site Reliability Engineer
VMS – VMS
Versent is an Australian-born technology company, focused on architecting, building & operating cloud native applications, data streams, platforms and services. Our solutions are centred around AWS and best of breed technology. From a stand-still start in 2014, we've grown to over 360 family members both locally and internationally. With a diversified offering in professional services, managed services and product, we are poised for significant growth in 2020.
Do you want to automate? Do you think of infrastructure as code? If you like deep dives on code to identify and fix bugs, you will love this role! Do you enjoy building tools and software? Due to expansion, we are seeking an experienced SRE. You will be responsible for maintaining the availability and reliability of the platform, but 40-50% of time will be developing and improving what's there, improving the monitoring infrastructure etc.
You will work with some of Versent's key enterprise clients in a customer facing role. This is not a reactive role, this is a highly proactive engineering role, adding clear value to our clients.
Day to day responsibilities will include:
- Deploy, support and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks.
- Design, create and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability and security of our client's mission critical infrastructure and platforms
- Build and manage systems, infrastructure and applications through automation.
- Provide performance tuning/recommendations for mission critical platforms and infrastructure
- Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve issues in a live production environment that supports mission critical applications for our clients
- Creating useful and effective documentation including Postmortems, Production Readiness Reviews, Playbooks
- Participate in an on-call roster
- Proven ability to write programs using a high-level programming language like: Java, Python, Go etc
- Experience designing and deploying infrastructure and applications on Public Cloud Platforms like AWS
- Experience and understanding of continuous integration, delivery, deployment and testing
- Experience handling large numbers of diverse systems with configuration management systems like: Ansible, Puppet.
- Experience working with *nix systems
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP, DNS, ECMP, TCP/IP, ICMP, the OSI Model, Subnetting and Load Balancing strategies.
- Familiarity with distributed systems is a plus including: the CAP Theorem, Microservices, and the Twelve Factor App.
- Experience with Kubernetes, Envoy, Prometheus, and/or Docker would be an asset
- Passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using automation.
At the core of what we do, we're an engineering company. We value our people more than commercials and put culture at the centre of everything. Some of the things we do to bring the team together are monthly music jamming sessions and game nights, wine/beer tasting, both family and Versent Christmas parties and weekly knowledge sharing sessions.
We embrace the notion of Family at Versent, working together to achieve outstanding success. We have monthly social events to bring everyone together, often supporting charity initiatives such as TourXOz and RUOK Day. We're supportive of bringing both kids and dogs into the office (which makes it a bit more lively!) and have a flexible work environment.
VERSENT VALUES AND BEHAVIOURS
People: We believe in a positive team with family spirit, because life is too short for anything else.
Customer: We create remarkable experiences for customers and treat them as we wish to be treated.
Quality: Be Artisans who care for their craft and lead change through continuous improvement.
Reliability: Do what we say we will do when we say we will do it, every time.
Transparency: Full disclosure, integrity and honesty in all things.
Reciprocate: Give back and assist as much as possible, whenever possible.