Staff Software Engineer
United States /
Fora – Engineering /
WHO WE ARE
Fora helps curious explorers discover cool products for their hobbies based on deep community expertise. Fora is home to millions of enthusiasts across over 1,000+ forums (e.g., ArcheryTalk, AVS Forum, BimmerFest, Knitting Paradise, WatchUSeek). Fora is a self-sustaining business unit of VerticalScope (TSE: FORA), with team members from a mix of startup and big tech backgrounds. Our values are authentic (respectful, diverse, clear), scrappy (empowered, resourceful, nimble), and curious (inquisitive, experimenting, learning).
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our team and have a positive impact on millions of users. You will collaborate with engineers, product managers, and designers to help users share and discover valuable knowledge about their hobbies, interests, and pastimes. Our team aims for a healthy balance between rapid experimentation to test new user experiences and well-architected, robust, scalable software. This is an exciting opportunity to join a mission-focused public company with a startup mentality.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build, deploy, and maintain services, pipelines, and applications to support new user experiences in our communities
- Collaborate regularly with product managers, designers, and leadership
- Mentor and up-level other software engineers, particularly in technical design and architecture skills
- Help set the engineering culture and technical foundation for the future of Fora
- 7+ years of software engineering across various parts of the software stack
- Experience designing, building and optimizing scalable backends, pipelines, data warehouses, web services, clients, and/or APIs
- Desire and ability to mentor and coach other engineers, including at least 2 years of experience managing several direct reports
- Experience deploying and managing production cloud services
- History of launching consumer-facing products at scale
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and cross-functional collaboration
- Ability to help set a technical roadmap while navigating through ambiguity and rapid change
YOU’RE A GREAT FIT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Excitement for online communities and alignment with the Fora mission to help people have fun finding products for their hobbies
- Early startup experience
- Ability to occasionally travel to the US or Canada
LIFE AT FORA
Fora is fully remote. We also have offices in Mountain View, CA, USA, and Toronto, ON, Canada. We believe that competitive benefits are an important investment in our people and culture. Examples include:
* Full suite of health benefits (medical, dental, vision), including fertility options
* Retirement savings and HSA/FSA programs
* Flexible working hours and unlimited vacation
* Parental leave top-up payLife, long-term disability, and AD&D insurance
* Employee Stock Option Program (ESOP)
* Career development stipend
Our company values diversity of thought and believes diverse teams make innovation possible. We work on complex, difficult problems with no linear or clear solutions. We believe that a diverse team can bring different perspectives and approaches, and whose experiences reflect the full set of clients we seek to serve. As such, Fora is committed to a diverse representation among our employees.
If you require disability-related accommodation during the application, recruitment, and interview process, please let us know and we will work with you to make all possible adjustments to suit your needs.