Senior Software Engineer - South San Francisco
South San Francisco
Computational Biology /
About Vevo Therapeutics
We are a biotechnology company based in San Francisco. We are using our in vivo drug discovery platform and AI models trained on its data to uncover better drugs for more patients. Our Mosaic platform is the first to make in vivo data generation scalable, with single-cell precision, to capture in vivo context of disease at the first step of drug discovery and to better represent patient diversity in drug response over current in vitro assays. We are using Mosaic to build the world’s largest in vivo atlas of how drugs interact with patient cells and how they alter gene function in diverse biological contexts. We are using the unprecedented scale and sophistication of the data in this atlas to train single-cell foundation models that learn context dependency of gene function and help us find novel targets and drugs that are more likely to work in patients.
At Vevo, we generate a huge amount of data on how drugs interact with cells from many different patients, at a single-cell resolution and in an in vivo context. The resulting insights enable us to advance transformative therapeutic programs for cancer treatment. This role will be responsible for maintaining and improving our bioinformatics and machine learning pipelines, as well as supporting our cloud-based compute and storage operations. There will be close interaction with other members of the in silico team specialized in bioinformatics, computational biology and machine learning, and also with experimental scientists.
Qualifications - Required
- BSc in computer science or related discipline
- 3+ years of experience as software engineer in an industry setting
- Knowledge of cloud infrastructure; familiarity with one of leading cloud providers, AWS, GCP or Azure
- Solid Python programming skills
- Experience working with big data and building scalable software solutions
- Familiarity with Linux based operating systems
Qualifications - Desirable
- Prior experience working in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company, or other setting requiring interaction with experimental scientists
- Familiarity with metaflow or other pipeline orchestrator frameworks
- Execute bioinformatics pipeline in a cloud environment
- Maintain bioinformatics pipeline and other software systems
- Improve scalability of bioinformatics pipeline
- Support ML scientists using the RunAI GPU scheduling environment and adopting future environments further improving scalability
- Administration of AWS cloud accounts
- More bespoke software engineering tasks related to experimental data generation and analysis
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO).
- US Employees: HMO Kaiser Platinum and PPO Anthem Gold medical as well as vision and dental plans for both the employee and dependents.
- Canadian Employees: Manulife Silver including medical, vision and dental.
This hybrid role does not necessitate daily on-site attendance, but it does require the ability to access our offices in either South San Francisco, CA, or Toronto, ON; we welcome applications from candidates in these regions or those willing to relocate to the Bay Area or the Greater Toronto Area. Please note, we have one role open to two geographical locations.