Senior Data Engineer
Vevo is the world’s largest all-premium music video provider, offering artists a global platform with enormous scale through its distribution partners. Vevo connects artists with their audience globally via music videos and original content, working directly with them to find unique ways to bring their music to life visually. Vevo also works with emerging artists, providing them with a platform of global scale and reach, to find and grow their audience. Reaching 26 billion monthly views globally, Vevo has over 400,000 music videos in its catalogue.
The Data Platform team’s mission is to design and build platforms that provide internal and external customers the information and functionality needed to fuel the growth of the Vevo ecosystem.
We build data pipelines, backend services, and tools that collect and interpret the data we receive from partners and vendors. This manifests as reporting and analytics dashboards for labels, video optimization for audience growth, data pipelines aggregating large amounts of partner data, services supporting efficient and scalable partner interaction, and the list goes on…
We're a team with a lot of greenfield code ahead of us. We value enthusiasm, positivity, pragmatism, clean code, and collaboration.
This is a full-time position and is based at our office in downtown Portland.
What you will do
- Be responsible for designing, building and supporting components that are part of the Vevo data platform.
- Help build and extend our data platform by designing and implementing: central data pipeline libraries and systems, analytics dashboards, internal analytics tooling, backend services supporting internal and external products.
- Be in an environment that supports close collaboration between data scientists and data engineers, from designing, modeling, experimenting, all the way to deployment and operating production level code.
This describes you:
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent and senior level experience in software engineering
- You love to solve difficult, interesting problems
- You have significant experience in at least one JVM language and/or Python
- You have experience with data pipelines that process large data sets
- You have experience with distributed data systems and computing frameworks
- You have solid experience in building highly scalable, distributed services, capable of handling large amounts of data
- You have experience developing Airflow DAGs
- You have experience with standard unit test libraries and features. TDD experience a plus
- You have a wealth of experience in modern persistence, including key-value stores and RDBMSes. SQL expertise highly preferred.
- You embrace best practices via pair programming, constructive code reviews, and thorough testing
- You thrive in an environment with rapid iterations on platform features
- You're a team player and work well in a highly collaborative environment
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge of modern JVM and/or Python tooling
- If you have deployed and maintained JVM and/or Python services in an AWS production environment
- If you thrive in a greenfield environment that involves a lot of design and architecture from scratch
- Additional bonus points for any open source projects that you want to show off
- If you have experience implementing machine learning algorithms
Interested? Great! You might like to know:
- We are a tight community of fun, upbeat people with a real passion for music and technology
- We help you remain up to date with new technology including hosting/attending meetups
- Excellent benefits package
- Competitive compensation packages
- Premier access to music content and new releases of original media content
- Concert ticket giveaways
- 401k Match
Vevo considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other legally protected status under local, state, or federal law.