VP, Business Development
New York, NY
Vevo is the world’s largest all-premium music video provider, offering artists a global platform with enormous scale through its distribution partners. Vevo connects artists with their audience globally via music videos and original content, working directly with them to find unique ways to bring their music to life visually. Vevo also works with emerging artists, providing them with a platform of global scale and reach, to find and grow their audience. Reaching 26 billion monthly views globally, Vevo has over 350,000 music videos in its catalogue.
We are seeking a Vice President of Business Development to join our team of talented deal-makers that are working to take Vevo’s business to the next level. This role reports directly to the EVP, Business Development & Affairs/General Counsel.
The Business Development team is a critical element in the company’s evolving strategy, ensuring that Vevo builds smart, innovative partnerships that will propel the business to new heights. In this role, you will provide thought leadership on industry developments and technologies as well as perform analysis and provide recommendations on partnership proposals. You will develop, lead, and execute deals with Vevo’s external partners to grow our product offering and expand our distribution footprint. You will also support the company’s overall strategy and work cross-functionally with the Business Affairs, Business Operations, Ad Sales, Revenue Operations, Engineering, Content & Programming and Finance teams. This role requires an individual who is an effective communicator, is adaptable and can combine an understanding of the overall media space with a foundation in financial and business analysis.
As a member of Vevo’s Business Development team, you’ll be working alongside incredibly talented individuals who will both inspire you and challenge you. We are a fast-paced and nimble organization that sits at the intersection of music, media and technology, We have a phenomenal unit made up of fun and accomplished individuals with diverse backgrounds, and we’re excited about having you join us!
If you believe like Bono, that “music can change the world because it can change people,” then you recognize the power of music. Bring your ability to balance creativity, focus, determination, and teamwork so that, together, we can bring the power of our music video and entertainment platform to the world.
This is a full-time position and is based at our New York City headquarters.
As a member of the team, you will:
- Source and evaluate new partnership opportunities and manage the vetting of inbound business proposals and inquiries
- Work with leadership to define and refine partnership structures related to distribution, content acquisition, technology and sales & marketing
- Be a deal maker and a closer, negotiating agreements and building long-term relationships with partners.
- Prepare analyses in support of negotiations and develop recommendations to present to key stakeholders
- Prepare ongoing analysis of the competitive landscape and key industry trends and share key findings from the marketplace
- Foster business relationships with distribution partners, content owners, application developers, platform and other service providers to support the growth of Vevo business
This describes you:
- You have a passion for music, entertainment and digital media
- You have a deep understanding of the current media landscape and the latest emerging trends
- You have established relationships within the media and entertainment industries
- You are a skilled negotiator
- You have business savvy and are a pragmatic thinker
- You lead from the front and know how to motivate others
- You present your thoughts clearly and persuasively, in both the written and spoken word.
- You are thoughtful and analytical, but do not suffer from analysis paralysis
- You work well in a collaborative environment
- You see the “big picture” and translate high-level strategy to its day-to-day implementation
- You take initiative and are a problem solver.
- You have 10+ years’ experience within the media and/or entertainment industry.
- BA or BS degree as well as outstanding academic performance
- MBA, JD or other advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years in media/entertainment; minimum five years of management or leadership capacity
- Extensive video or TV marketplace experience
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proactive and detail-oriented thinker with the ability to thrive in an often ambiguous, fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical and financial skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a dynamic, creative environment
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities under time constraints
Interested? Great! You might like to know:
- We're a fun, energetic, and tight-knit team.
- We really enjoy music and technology.
- We have excellent compensation and benefits packages.
- We have in-office and external happy hours.
- We have premier access to music content and new releases of original media content.
- We offer a 401k match.
- We have a fully stocked kitchen.
- We are in an upscale New York city office with stunning views of Times Square.
Vevo considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other legally protected status under local, state, or federal law.