Head of Tax
Los Angeles, CA
General & Administrative – Accounting /
For over 21 years, Viant has been a leader in digital advertising, transforming the way marketers connect their brands with consumers. Our industry-leading software, Adelphic, is used every day by the world’s premier brands and agencies to plan, execute and measure the success of their programmatic advertising campaigns. With a culture built on our key company values of Live, Lead, Create and Figure it Out, we’re serious about investing in our employees and are dedicated to creating an inclusive and collaborative environment. At Viant, you’ll have the chance to make a big impact at an exciting time in our company’s history – we’re growing fast on the heels of our recent IPO. If you’re a strategic thinker and creative problem solver who thrives in a fast-paced industry, we want to hear from you.
This position is the Head of Tax for Viant. We are flexible on leveling from Sr. Director to VP, depending on experience.
- Performing a technical review of partnership and corporate federal and multi state tax returns, including reviewing all related work papers and adherence to SOX compliance requirements.
- Coordinating with accounting and finance departments to gather/provide information required for tax planning and compliance reporting requirements.
- Performing technical review of income tax provisions in accordance with ASC 740.
- Review quarterly and annual SEC filings and disclosures, including audit disclosure checklist.
- Develop, mentor and oversee the Tax Manager and recruit for new talent for team expansion if required
- Researching federal and state tax legislation to assist in understanding the impact on compliance and reporting requirements of the Company.
- Overseeing indirect tax compliance and reporting requirements. Includes research, analysis, and communicating with senior management regarding sales and use tax matters.
- Managing external tax service provider workflow and communicating with accounting and finance departments to ensure timely filing and reporting of tax-related items.
- Analyzing impacts on income tax reporting with changes to business structure and other transactions.
- Identifying and implementing tax department process improvements and best practices.
- Monthly review and analysis of partnership tax distribution calculations and communicate with partners as needed
- Quarterly review and analysis of TRA liability calculations, valuation allowances and tax provisions in collaboration with outside tax service provider.
- Manage external tax provider to prepare studies regarding R&D tax credits and Sec. 174 capitalization/amortization.
- Handle external tax audits that include but not limited to income, sales and use, property taxes.
- Act as a strategic tax partner to proactively assess and identify opportunities for tax savings and provide feedback in the form of ad hoc analysis and/or presentations.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- 10+ years’ experience in federal and state taxation
- Preparation and review experience of federal and state tax returns for corporations and partnerships.
- Active CPA
- Experience with accounting for income taxes in accordance with ASC 740
- Previous Big 4 or large CPA firm experience preferred
- Management experience
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Analytical ability to develop and implement improvements or recommendations
- Strong attention to detail and high-level of accuracy
- Ability to handle extremely sensitive information requiring the utmost discretion and confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent organizational skills
- Strong Excel skills required
- Competitive Salary and Bonuses
- Paid benefits for the employees: Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, Life insurance/AD&D
- Paid parental leave
- Health and Wellness programs
- Employee discounts – e.g. gym memberships, wireless plans, entertainment tickets
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Casual Office Atmosphere
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Ongoing Education & Training
- Company Sponsored Events & Team Building Experiences
$175,000 - $250,000 a year
Base compensation range: $175,000 - $250,000
In accordance with California law, the range provided is Viant’s reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. Final title and compensation for the position will be based on several factors including work experience and education.
About the Employer: Viant Technology
Viant® is a publicly traded (Nasdaq: DSP) people-based advertising software company that enables ad buyers to plan, create, execute, and measure their omnichannel digital advertising investments. The Viant programmatic software is uniquely built on people-based data combining more than 70 people-based data partners to enable scaled and accurate audience targeting and advanced measurement. This allows for targeting consumers using real world identifiers rather than relying on cookies, from which the industry is moving away.
Adelphic® is Viant’s industry-leading omnichannel demand-side platform, empowering marketers and their advertising agencies to plan, execute and measure programmatic advertising campaigns across desktop, mobile, connected TV, linear TV, streaming audio and digital billboards -- in a single platform. Viant customers range across most verticals including automotive, entertainment, business to business, retail, consumer packaged goods, travel and healthcare. The Viant patented technology advances internet-connected household identification and overcomes the limitations of user identification in mobile and across networked devices, yielding rich, nuanced portraits of real consumers.
Based in Irvine, CA, Viant has more than 315 full-time employees in 10 offices around the U.S. Viant was recently recognized by Advertising Age as a Best Place to Work, and Adelphic is featured on AdExchanger’s Programmatic Power Players list. For more information, please see attached or visit us on the web at www.viantinc.com.
Viant® (NASDAQ: DSP) is a leading advertising software company that enables marketers to plan, execute and measure omnichannel ad campaigns through a cloud-based platform. Viant’s self-service Demand Side Platform, Adelphic®, powers programmatic advertising across Connected TV, Linear TV, mobile, desktop, audio, gaming and digital out-of-home channels. As an organization committed to sustainability, Viant’s Adricity® carbon reduction program helps clients achieve their sustainability goals. In 2022, Viant was recognized as a Leader in the DSP category, earned Great Place to Work® certification, became founding a member of Ad Net Zero, and Co-Founders Tim and Chris Vanderhook were named EY Entrepreneurs of the Year. To learn more, please visit viantinc.com.
Viant is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Viant prohibits unlawful discrimination against employees or applicants based on race (including traits historically associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, reproductive health decision making, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, military status, veteran status, uniformed service member status, sexual orientation, transgender identity, citizenship status, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. Viant also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.
By clicking “Apply for this Job” and providing any information, I accept the Viant California Personnel Privacy Notice.