Field Service Engineer
Watertown, MA /
Engineering and Field Deployment /
At Via Separations, we take a materials approach to the world's wasted energy. We are optimistic about scientific progress, passionate about global impact, and creative in everything we do. We are not afraid of hard problems, and we encourage each other to live at the intersections of disciplines, act on great ideas, and design everything.
Via eliminates energy use in industrial processes, enabling pathways for a more sustainable, resource efficient future. With its core filtration technology, Via can slash the energy used in separation processes by 90%. We are a fast-paced, interdisciplinary team backed by The Engine, Safar Partners, Prime Impact Fund, and MassCEC.
The Field Service Engineer will work alongside a team of engineers and chemists to help build, deliver, and maintain low emission, high productivity engineering solutions to difficult-to-decarbonize industries. You will be responsible for mastering institutional knowledge of system operation and transferring those skills to customer demonstration sites, ensuring our systems are effective and exceed our customer’s needs. Via Separations’ technology is the first commercial implementation of membranes in several difficult industrial applications. You will be part of the team that installs, supports, and upgrades Via’s systems at sites across the US and abroad. This role has enormous growth potential as headcount increases, systems scale, and the organization continues to build scope and influence.
• Provide oversight and support for system installation, operation, and decommissioning/removal
• Perform hands-on troubleshooting and repair of electromechanical systems/components
• Develop and maintain project schedules for trials, acceptance tests, and system operations
• Analyze process performance and summarize findings in reports and presentations
• Present system performance data to internal and external stakeholders
• Develop and provide training on safety & system operation for customers and service providers
• Design, set-up, and execute experiments in preparation of or as part of customer trials
• Participate in hazard analysis on various systems (FMEA, HAZOP, etc.)
• Drive continuous improvement initiatives for pilot and commercial systems
Experience & Qualifications
BS in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or similar
Comfortable presenting results and being a professional face to the organization
Travel is required for this role, up to 50%, primarily in north America, with some potential international travel
Ability to lift up to 40 pounds, climb ladders, and use Personal Protective Equipment
You must be: team-oriented, adaptable, able to prioritize and balance multiple projects, and love to build, troubleshoot and think critically
Via prioritizes diversity of thought, access, and experiences and as such strives to be an exceptional Equal Opportunity Employer.