San Francisco Bay Area
Our long term goal is to build machines that exceed human intelligence. We are passionate about changing the world with science and software, and we are looking for exceptional people to join us in that mission. Vicarious is working on solving the problems that will take us from the current state of the art to human-level AGI. We work on all components of the AI problem, including perception, concept learning, reasoning, and sensory motor systems, and beyond. Our underlying framework is a probabilistic graphical model that is inspired by the structure of the neocortex. You will join a small, tightly knit collective of extraordinary engineer scientists. Everyone works on our full stack, from algorithms to low level optimizations to GUI code and back.
As part of our team, you will...
- put your algorithm and math skills to work in solving the hardest problems in learning and inference in hierarchical models.
- make decisions about how to translate complex ideas to working solutions while keeping a keen eye for computation/accuracy/memory tradeoffs.
- design controlled experiments to show particular performance aspects of the systems and large scale experiments to show statistical robustness.
- write infrastructure software to scale our systems and data visualization routines to understand what is happening inside.
- keep yourself updated with advances in the field of machine learning and neuroscience.
- The craftsmanship of building elegant algorithms and tight implementations are part of our company DNA. We work hard to maintain a codebase and a culture that are a joy to work in.
Desired skills and experience
- Preferred PhD or Masters in CS/EE or a related discipline or Masters in CS/EE with relevant research experience.
- Strong machine learning fundamentals, including probabilistic graphical models
- Experience building hierarchical vision systems and publishing relevant papers in CVPR/NIPS/ICML is a big plus.
- Extensive programming skills, ideally in Python and C, and a track record of translating ideas into prototypes quickly.
- Solid fundamentals in linear algebra, probability theory, signal processing, and optimization.
- Experience developing and testing ideas in a large scale setting.
- Experience with belief propagation and approximation methods.
- Knowledge of biologically inspired models of vision.
- Interest in neuroscience a plus.
- Experience working in an interpreted environment like MATLAB or Mathematica also a plus.
Desired personal qualities
- Ability to admit when wrong
- Fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Patience with others
- Described by others as the best researcher / engineer / thinker they know
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
Vicarious offers unique benefits for all employees that includes personal coaching, organic breakfast and lunch, a company trip to Hawaii every year, and much more. Please visit Join Vicarious for details.
Vicarious is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we’re excited to learn what you can add to our team.