IT Manager / System Administrator
San Francisco Bay Area
As a hands on IT Manager at Vicarious, you will be working to support the experiments, systems, and researchers that are bringing the state-of-the-art in AI forward. This will involve many of the typical functions of an IT Manager at a growing company as well as domain specific challenges such as maintaining a shared lab of linux machines connected to physical robots. As a member of Vicarious you will work with all teams, but in particular you will work alongside the Engineering team to ensure a smooth experience for researchers as they transition between their personal machines, cluster machines, and shared labs.
As part of the team you will
- Build and Maintain Corporate Infrastructure (authentication, email, VPN, etc)
- Manage vendor relationships and order hardware.
- Provision new equipment (laptops, desktops), including performing maintenance and upgrades of existing hardware.
- Onboard and offboard employees as needed.
- Deal with (and automate where possible) user requests that come through the helpdesk.
- Manage shared linux desktops (typically attached to a robot).
- Implement rolling upgrade program (software and hardware).
- Oversee security audits of corporate infrastructure as needed.
Desired skills and experience
- Preferred BS in CS/MIS or a related discipline. We also consider exceptional applicants with other backgrounds.
- In depth knowledge of Linux (as a desktop) and OSX.
- Experience building out Directory and SSO services.
- Experience managing a computer lab in an academic or research setting.
- Exposure to configuration management systems such as Puppet or Chef.
- Personal projects, especially when open source, are always a plus.
Desired personal qualities
- Ability to admit when wrong
- Fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Patience with others
- Described by others as the best researcher / engineer / thinker they know
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
Vicarious offers unique benefits for all employees that includes personal coaching, organic breakfast and lunch, a company trip to Hawaii every year, and much more. Please visit Join Vicarious for details.
Vicarious is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we’re excited to learn what you can add to our team.