Imaging System Engineer
San Francisco Bay Area
Vicarious aims to transform robotics by creating robots with human level performance on real-world manipulation tasks. We are passionate about changing the world with science and software, and we are looking for exceptional people to join us in that mission. Here you will join a small, tightly knit collective of engineer scientists committed to solving long-term problems. Our focus is the systematic integration of perception, concept learning, reasoning, and motor control, used to build robotic manipulation systems. As a member of the robotics group at Vicarious, you will play a critical role in our efforts to use our technology to push the state of the art on robotic manipulation.
As imaging software engineer at Vicarious, you will quickly come up to speed on recent advancements in sensor calibration, image processing and state-of-the-art hardware.
You will apply this knowledge to improve the performance and accuracy of our imaging systems used for vision and robotics tasks alike in a wide variety of applications.
What you'll do
- Develop scalable camera calibration and image capture solutions that may involve robotics, mechanical, electrical and optical components
- Develop and refine RGB and RGBD camera designs, camera calibration and image capturing methods (both hardware and software)
- Conduct camera calibration and image capturing experiments using external or internal tools
- Drive the sensing team direction and interact closely with other members
Desired skills and experience
- BS or Masters in Physics, Engineering or a related discipline
- Understanding of basic optics and optical imaging systems
- Programming skills in at least one of the following Python, Matlab, or C++, and willing to learn when necessary
- Knowledge of image processing and statistics
- Industry experience with robotics arms and/or sensor calibration is a plus
- Experience with RGB-D sensors is a plus
- Experience with any of the following is plus: OpenCV, PCL, image quality, photography, robot, electronics, mechanical design, 3D printing
Desired personal qualities
- Ability to admit when wrong
- Fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Patience with others
- Described by others as the best researcher / engineer / thinker they know
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
Vicarious offers unique benefits for all employees that includes personal coaching, organic breakfast and lunch, a company trip to Hawaii every year, and much more. Please visit Join Vicarious for details.
Vicarious is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we’re excited to learn what you can add to our team.