Research Engineer - 3D Reconstruction
Union City, California
Vicarious aims to transform robotics by creating robots with human level performance on real-world manipulation tasks. We are passionate about changing the world with science and software, and we are looking for exceptional people to join us in that mission. Here you will join a small, tightly knit collective of engineer scientists committed to solving long-term problems. Our focus is the systematic integration of perception, concept learning, reasoning, and motor control, used to build robotic manipulation systems. As a member of the computer vision group at Vicarious, you will play a critical role in our efforts to use our technology to push the state of the art on robotic manipulation.
As a 3D reconstruction research engineer at Vicarious, you will quickly come up to speed on recent advancements in 3D object reconstruction, image segmentation and state-of-the-art hardware. You will apply this knowledge to improve the performance and accuracy of our systems used for vision and robotics tasks alike in a wide variety of applications.
- Design and implement 3D object reconstruction systems
- Optimize existing and new systems to scale to production
- Optimize our data capture pipelines for reconstruction performance and accuracy
- Work with our robotics team to identify hardware changes that improve reconstruction performance and accuracy
- BS or Masters in computer vision or computer science
- Proficiency in Python and the Numpy ecosystem
- Experience implementing and running 3D reconstruction systems, including, but not limited to, industry experience or a Ph.D. in a relevant field
- Alternatively, experience implementing and running image segmentation systems will be considered as well
- Working knowledge of multiple view geometry, camera models, and/or image segmentation
- Strong software engineering skills are a plus
- Experience with any of the following frameworks is a plus: OpenCV, PCL, Open3D, ROS
- Experience with RGB-D sensors is a plus
Desired personal qualities
- Ability to admit when wrong
- Fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Patience with others
- Described by others as the best researcher / engineer / thinker they know
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
Vicarious is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we’re excited to learn what you can add to our team.