Roboticist - Grasping
San Francisco Bay Area
Vicarious aims to transform robotics by creating robots with human level performance on real-world manipulation tasks. We are passionate about changing the world with science and software, and we are looking for exceptional people to join us in that mission. Here you will join a small, tightly knit collective of engineer scientists committed to solving long-term problems. Our focus is the systematic integration of perception, concept learning, reasoning, and motor control, used to build robotic manipulation systems. As a member of the robotics group at Vicarious, you will play a critical role in our efforts to use our technology to push the state of the art on robotic manipulation.
As a grasping expert at Vicarious, you will be one of us that experience the most current manipulation techniques, suggest new manipulation approaches, research on and create field changing technologies. You will apply such technologies to improve the performance and accuracy of our robotic systems used in a wide variety of applications.
What you'll do
- Develop and refine in-house grasp planning and control methods
- Propose algorithms/methods that greatly enhance the performance of grasp planning and grasp control
- Actively stay current of the most recent grasping/manipulation research and present them to the company
- Research on new directions of grasping techniques that are relevant to our robotic systems
Desired skills and experience
- PhD in grasping or robotic learning related to manipulation
- Good programming skills in Python and/or C++, and willing to learn when necessary
- Strong publication record in grasp detection, grasp planning, and/or grasp control; or rich experience of grasping in the industry.
- Knowledge of different grasping approaches and most current research on grasping
- Experience with robotics arm(s) and gripper(s). Industrial experience of such is a plus
- Learns new things fast
Desired personal qualities
- Ability to admit when wrong
- Fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Patience with others
- Described by others as the best researcher / engineer / thinker they know
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
Vicarious offers unique benefits for all employees that includes personal coaching, organic breakfast and lunch, a company trip to Hawaii every year, and much more. Please visit Join Vicarious for details.
Vicarious is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we’re excited to learn what you can add to our team.