Union City, California
Vicarious aims to transform robotics by creating software with human-level performance on real-world manipulation tasks. We are passionate about changing the world with science and software, and we are looking for exceptional people to join us in that mission. You will join a tightly-knit collective of engineer-scientists committed to solving these problems. Our focus is on building robotic manipulation systems that are beyond the state of the art by integrating perception, concept learning, reasoning, and motor control as we pursue the long term goal of artificial general intelligence.
As a Senior Controls Engineer, you will work with cross-functional teams to design, validate, and finally roll-out equipment for deployment. The candidate will be key in driving standardization across all lines and processes. He/She will work closely with Applications Engineers, Software Engineers and AI Researchers to bring Vicarious components from initial design, through prototype development and finally into full production.
- Develop company level and line/machine level controls standards and specifications for application by internal Applications teams and external customers
- Create through to full deployment line and component level controls architecture
- Create detailed utility layouts for entire lines and interface with Applications teams and customer facilities representatives for implementation
- Layout new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time
- Architect, write and debug PLC code with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable. PLC code will interact with subsystems such as conveyors, robots, LabView, machine vision, and 3rd party equipment.
- Implement (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic, and fluid plumbing
- Select and size electrical and electromechanical components such as servos
- Train internal and external teams to support automated equipment after deployment
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time, improve availability and yield
- BS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent – Majors in Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Robotics Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.
- Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical/mechatronic systems
- Knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric Code, UL508A).
- In-depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA).
- Advanced proficiency programming industrial equipment
- Structure text PLCs / Safety PLCs (Beckhoff and B&R controllers)
- Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI)
- Field bus Networks (EtherCAT, ProfiNet, Safety rated field bus networks)
- Serial communication (RS-232) between PLCs and instruments
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Demonstrated excellence in programming PLCs. Must have a well-defined methodology for maintaining code structure and organization. Ability to program state machines for complex processes that involve multi-station parallel processing, pick and place automation, data acquisition, and PID control. Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery
- MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent – Majors in Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.) and 3+ years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Robotics Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems
- Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and servo systems
- Proficiency in creating detailed schematics in CAD (AutoCAD preferred)
- Proficiency programming and tuning variable frequency drives
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (LVDT, dispense systems, temperature controllers, etc)
- Experience programming Articulated robots are highly desired (UR, Kuka, etc)
- Experience with Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc)
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment is highly desired
- Experience transitioning products and processes from prototype to production
- Ability to use 3D CAD packages such as Inventor and SolidWorks is a plus
Desired personal qualities
- Ability to admit when wrong
- Fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Patience with others
- Fast worker
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with people of various backgrounds
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
- Passionate about robotics and artificial intelligence, and pushing the boundaries on real-world robotics applications
Vicarious offers unique benefits for all employees that includes personal coaching, organic breakfast and lunch and much more. Please visit Join Vicarious for details.
Vicarious is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we’re excited to learn what you can add to our team.