IT Manager / System Administrator
Union City, California
As a hands on IT Manager / System Administrator at Vicarious, you will be working to support the experiments, systems, and researchers that are bringing the state-of-the-art in AI forward. This will involve many of the typical functions of an IT Manager at a growing company as well as domain specific challenges such as maintaining a shared lab of linux machines connected to physical robots. As a member of Vicarious you will work with all teams, but in particular you will work alongside the Engineering team to ensure a smooth experience for researchers as they transition between their personal machines, cluster machines, and shared labs.
- Build and Maintain Corporate Infrastructure (auth, email, networking, VPN, etc)
- Manage vendor relationships and order hardware.
- Provision new equipment (laptops, desktops, servers), including performing maintenance and upgrades of existing hardware on multiple operating systems (Linux, Mac OS, Windows).
- Onboard and offboard employees as needed.
- Deal with (and automate where possible) user requests that come through the helpdesk.
- Manage an extensive Linux environment including systems attached to a robot.
- Implement rolling upgrade program (software and hardware).
- Oversee security audits of corporate infrastructure as needed.
- Preferred BS in CS/MIS or a related discipline. We also consider exceptional applicants with other backgrounds.
- Have built and run IT teams in the past.
- In depth knowledge of Linux (as a desktop and server) and OSX.
- Experience building out Directory and SSO services.
- Experience managing a computer lab in an academic or research setting.
- Exposure to configuration management systems such as Ansible or Chef.
- Exposure to software development environments (Git, Jenkins, etc).
- Experience with or exposure to AWS and GCP is a plus.
- Personal projects, especially when open source, are always a plus.
Desired personal qualities
- Ability to admit when wrong
- Fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Patience with others
- Fast worker
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with people of various backgrounds
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
- Passionate about robotics and artificial intelligence, and pushing the boundaries on real world robotics applications
Vicarious offers unique benefits for all employees that includes personal coaching, organic breakfast and lunch, and much more. Please visit Join Vicarious for details.
Vicarious is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we’re excited to learn what you can add to our team.