Senior System Administrator
Union City, California
Vicarious aims to transform robotics by creating robots with human level performance on real-world manipulation tasks. We are passionate about changing the world with science and software, and we are looking for exceptional people to join us in that mission.
You will join a tightly-knit collective of engineer-scientists committed to solving these problems. Our focus is on building robotic manipulation systems that are beyond the state of the art by integrating perception, concept learning, reasoning, and motor control as we pursue the long term goal of artificial general intelligence.
As Senior System Administrator at Vicarious, you will be working to support the experiments, systems, and researchers that are bringing the state-of-the-art in AI forward. This will involve domain-specific challenges such as maintaining a shared lab of Linux machines connected to physical robots, campus environment, remote offices, etc. As a member of Vicarious, you will work with all teams, but in particular, you will work alongside the Engineering team to ensure a smooth experience for researchers as they transition between their personal machines, cluster machines, and shared labs.
- Build and Maintain Corporate Infrastructure (auth, email, networking, VPN, etc)
- Manage vendor relationships and older hardware.
- Provision new equipment (laptops, desktops, servers), including performing maintenance and upgrades of existing hardware on multiple operating systems (Linux, Mac OS, Windows).
- Onboard and offboard employees as needed.
- Deal with (and automate where possible) user requests that come through the helpdesk.
- Manage an extensive Linux environment including systems attached to a robot.
- Implement a provisioning and rolling upgrade program (software and hardware).
- Oversee security audits of corporate infrastructure as needed.
- Preferred BS in CS/MIS or a related discipline. We also consider exceptional applicants with other backgrounds.
- In-depth knowledge of Linux (as a desktop and server) and OSX.
- Experience building out Directory and SSO services.
- Exposure to configuration management systems such as Ansible or Chef.
- Exposure to software development environments (Git, Jenkins, etc).
- Experience with or exposure to AWS and GCP is a plus.
- Personal projects, especially when open source, are always a plus.
Desired personal qualities
- Ability to admit when wrong
- Fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Patience with others
- Fast worker
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with people of various backgrounds
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
- Passionate about robotics and artificial intelligence, and pushing the boundaries on real-world robotics applications
Vicarious is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we’re excited to learn what you can add to our team.