Village Capital finds, trains, and invests in the best entrepreneurs solving real-world problems. If you’re looking to build a career investing in the companies that matter most in the economy—including health, education, energy, agriculture, and fintech—and are looking for your next move, we’re interested.
Village Capital is seeking to develop a class of Investment Analysts to find, support, and invest in the best entrepreneurs solving real-world problems. Here’s what we’re looking for:
· You have a very specific thesis around what founders make the best investments. You’re obsessed with industry trends, ways of forecasting founder success, and scenarios that might yield a positive return for investors.
· You’re interested in investing in the next generation of entrepreneurs: You look at a startup and think of ways that it might succeed, why it might fail.
· You have sector expertise in one of Village Capital’s target objectives: either access to economic opportunity (health, education, financial services) or resource sustainability (energy, agriculture, water). We are looking for analysts who work in both US and emerging markets.
You’ll report to one of the Directors at Village Capital (specific reporting relationship depends on scope of work).
You’ll have three specific responsibilities:
1. Find the best entrepreneurs solving real-world problems
- You’ll help our team develop an investment thesis within your target sector, specifically looking at people, places, and ideas that the market under-values.
- We talk to 10,000 entrepreneurs/year, and you’ll help our team develop and curate this pipeline to a small group of the highest-potential companies
- You’ll personally develop relationships with the most promising entrepreneurs as a relationship lead on behalf of Village Capital.
2. Improve entrepreneurs’ ability to succeed
- You’ll play a leading role in developing entrepreneurial potential, serving as a strategic advisor on investment-readiness to a small group of companies.
- You’ll advise on Village Capital’s programming with an eye towards what investors are looking to back.
- You’ll work with our team to recruit a community of investors that will find value in meeting entrepreneurs, and can help these businesses reach scale faster.
- You’ll help companies prepare their investment offering for Village Capital’s fund and other investors.
3. Invest in the best companies
- You’ll work with Village Capital’s fund to help entrepreneurs select the best investments.
- You’ll help alumni and portfolio companies to recruit executive talent and raise additional rounds on an as-needed basis.
What’s in it for you?
- We want to help you develop a career in venture capital. You’ll work with dozens of entrepreneurs, investment firms, and corporations, all of whom could benefit from your experience. If you want to develop a career investing in startups, this is the right fit for you.
- We want to help you learn how to be a “super-forecaster.” You’ll be exposed to thousands of entrepreneurs, and learn industry trends—you’ll be able to learn how to be a venture investor better in this role than in any other.
- We’ll give you a chance to combine business success with industries you care about. Village Capital’s investments are providing access to opportunity for those who need it and improving the sustainability of the planet. You’ll help build great businesses that are improving the world.
- Intellectual curiosity—you’re reading this job description and already have 3-5 revisions, suggestions, or “how about X?”
- An understanding of how startup companies make money for investors
- Fluency in Excel, PowerPoint, and other tools to both analyze and promote companies
- Proven ability to sell, fundraise, and hire
- A sense of urgency in solving problems that matter