Director of Business Development
The way we invest in ideas is broken. Entrepreneurs that are solving the world’s hardest problems cannot access the capital they need to scale their companies. Village Capital is the most active early-stage impact investor in the world and we are building a different system that creates a more inclusive, effective, and supportive investment model.
Over the last seven years, our unique “peer selection” approach has changed the conversation and brought new transparency to investing in entrepreneurs. We’ve supported over 600 companies and made more than 70 early stage investments around the world by finding, training and investing in companies solving some of the world’s most significant challenges. 90% of our portfolio is based outside Silicon Valley, New York, and Boston; nearly 40% of our companies are led by women, 20% by African American and Latino entrepreneurs and 100% of our companies are pursuing solutions to expand economic opportunity or drive environmental sustainability. To date, 90% of these ventures are still operating, and a dozen have already exited profitably.
We are seeking a Director of Business Development for our US Ventures team. Reporting into the Vice President, US Ventures, you will play a crucial role in growing our network of partners who share our passion for finding and training entrepreneurs tackling challenges in economic opportunity and environmental sustainability in the United States.
- Lead the US Ventures team in securing financial support needed to run programs that grow great companies and make successful peer-selected investments across the US
- Maintain and deepen ongoing relationships with major funding partners and clients, including individuals, foundations, and corporations
- Raise Village Capital’s profile through public speaking opportunities, engaging related regional or industry communities, and otherwise adding value to relevant stakeholders.
- Develop and test new ways of adding value to funders, investors, and entrepreneurs, as a key part of Village Capital’s learning culture.
Traits we're looking for:
- You’re passionate about the role that entrepreneurs play in solving major global problems—particularly ideas out of the mainstream.
- You’re excited about collaborating with a range of existing and potential partners to help us fulfill our mission.
- You’re a creator.
- You love building relationships - both externally with current and potential new partners, and internally amongst your peers.
- Minimum of a B.A., ideally with an MBA or related degree
- 6-8 years of overall professional experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Non-profit or social business experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proven track record in project management
- You’re an influencer - you have a track record of securing six figure sponsorship and/or donations
- You are committed to delivering only the highest-quality results and love exceeding expectations.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by the Village Capital team. Unfortunately, we may not have the capacity to answer individual candidate questions until qualified candidates reach the interview stage