Village Capital is seeking a creative, organized and energetic Communications Associate to support the Marketing Manager in writing, editing and promoting Village Capital’s mission. The position is based in Washington, DC.
Village Capital is a non-profit with an affiliated venture capital fund. Our mission is to democratize entrepreneurship, and we do this by training and investing in entrepreneurs solving real world problems. Since 2009, we have invested in over 70 ventures across 15 countries, and supported hundreds more through collaborative investment-readiness programs.
As an organization we have strong opinions about venture capital, diversity and social impact that we are not afraid to share. We get regular press coverage, have an active blog that sees contributions from more than a dozen member of our team, and this summer our co-founder Ross Baird wrote a book. The Communications Associate will play a critical role on a small team and will be involved with every element of our communications and marketing strategy: writing (blogs, op-eds and website copy), editing, social media, email newsletters and earned media.
The primary role will be writing and editing; the candidate should have a strong writing background. Candidates with media experience, including a college newspaper, will be given preference.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ghostwrite timely content on a deadline for Village Capital leaders
- Edit writing (blog posts, op-eds) from Village Capital team members
- Work closely with Village Capital partners to execute communications and marketing plans around programs
- Develop content for Village Capital’s social media and analyze trends to determine which content performs best
- Assist in a redesign of the Village Capital website, including strategic thinking around design and copy
- Provide research support on media targets, coverage and industry data for communications projects and reports
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills; experience in the media industry is strongly preferred
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with senior leadership, media and community contacts
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-moving environment
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to learn
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Village Capital - supporting entrepreneurs solving real world problems
- Strong attention to detail
- Graphic design skills are a plus