Director of New Initiatives
Washington, DC (preferred)
The way we invest in ideas is broken. Nearly half of all venture capital in the world is invested in just three US states. In 2016, women received just 2% of venture capital funding. Entrepreneurship has the potential to transform society and spur dramatic social change, but the vast majority of mainstream capital goes to a small number of entrepreneurs of similar backgrounds based in just a few places.
At Village Capital, we’re building a different system. Over the last seven years, Village Capital’s unique “peer selection” approach has changed the conversation and brought new transparency to investing in entrepreneurs. We’ve supported over 600 companies and made 80 early stage investments around the world. 90% of our portfolio is based outside Silicon Valley, New York, and Boston; nearly 40% of our companies are led by women; and 100% of our companies are pursuing solutions to expand economic opportunity or drive environmental sustainability around the world. To date, 90% of these ventures are still operating, and a dozen have already exited profitably.
Want to help democratize entrepreneurship? Join us! We are seeking a Director of New Initiatives, to grow our network of partners who share our passion for finding and training overlooked entrepreneurs tackling significant global challenges.
- Cultivate new partnerships, from initiation to commitment, primarily for the organization’s New Initiatives practice, working closely with the Director of Global Partnerships.
- Elevate Village Capital brand through speaking engagements, published thought pieces, etc.
- Finalize agreements with clients to launch new engagements
- Design projects to deliver both value to clients and entrepreneurs, within team’s capacity
- Manage team to ensure delivery of projects ahead of schedule and exceeding expectations
- Troubleshoot and resolve client issues that may arise during an engagement
- Solicit testimonials and/or introductions from past clients
- Maintain and deepen relationships with clients over time
Village Capital Development
- Recruit, coach, and manage reports within New Initiatives team
- Share with others in Village Capital sales and client management best practices
- Participate in leadership discussions and provide input on Village Capital strategy
Traits we’re looking for:
- You’re excited about working with entrepreneurs solving major global problems—particularly ideas out of the mainstream.
- You’re a creator. You get energy from building new things—like new ways to find, support, and invest in startups.
- You’re humble and open to experimenting, learning, and being wrong every now and then.
- You are a gracious host. You anticipate others’ needs and design your actions accordingly to enable the best experience.
- You can hustle. No job is below you. You are willing to do whatever is needed to get the job done.
- Proven track record in sales or other similar function, securing six to seven-figure deals for organization.
- Over 10 years of overall professional experience, ideally in consulting or a similar function delivering bespoke projects to clients
- Demonstrated experience in team management, recruiting, supervising, and coaching direct reports and other colleagues.
- You love exceeding expectations and are committed to delivering only the highest-quality results.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Minimum of a B.A., ideally with an MBA or related degree