Director of Finance and Operations
The way we invest in ideas is broken. Nearly half of all venture capital in the world is invested in just three US states. In 2016, women received just 2% of venture capital funding. In the US, less than 1% goes to African American and Latino entrepreneurs. And far too little capital is going to companies who are solving significant global challenges in environmental sustainability and economic opportunity.
At Village Capital, we’re building a different system. Over the last seven years, our transparent approach to investing has changed the conversation. We’ve made more than 70 early stage investments to date around the world in companies focused on solutions in energy, financial inclusion, health, agriculture, education and more. 90% of our portfolio is based outside Silicon Valley, New York, and Boston; 38% is women-led, and 20% is run by African American and Latino entrepreneurs. To date, 90% of these ventures are still operating, and a dozen have already exited profitably.
Our team is expanding and we’re looking for a Director of Finance and Operations to manage the financial, administration and operational systems that enable Village Capital to successfully focus on its mission to find, train and invest in companies solving some of the world’s biggest challenges.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grant accounting.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Managing Director; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Work closely with the organization’s core practices to develop program budgets for grant proposals.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Work with the Managing Director to effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the board of directors.
VilCap Operations and IT Support
- Oversee day-to-day office management for HQ office and satellite offices as needed
- Complete registrations / regulatory filings as needed
- Ensure continued legal compliance for our foreign entities
- Manage and track company equipment
- Oversee general IT support to HQ office and satellites office as needed, working with internal operations manager
- Liaise with legal counsel on vendor, licensing, employee contracts as needed
- Minimum of a B.A., ideally with an MBA or related degree
- 6-8 years of overall professional experience; including 5 years of direct experience in a finance and accounting focused role
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area
- A track record in grants management
- Non-profit or social business experience preferred
- Experience with vendor tracking and management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
Compensation: Commensurate based on experience.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by the Village Capital team. Unfortunately, we may not have the capacity to answer individual candidate questions until qualified candidates reach the interview stage.