Associate General Counsel – Commercial and Operations
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
VEON – Legal, Compliance, Forensic
Learn below about your first 30, 60 and 90 days in your next role. Apply and join us now!
An exciting opportunity has arising for an Associate General Counsel position at VEON HQ!
The role is a key member of the HQ Legal Team (“HQLT”) and the International Legal Department (“ILD”) as a whole. You will be responsible for leading and managing all contractual, procurement, technology, commercial and outsourcing matters for HQ. Through a matrix management structure, you will be responsible for the end-to-end contract lifecycle, including claims management and oversight of legal contracting conducted by the HQ Strategic Sourcing Team.
This role will be to deliver all commercial contractual activities at HQ with a key link across all OpCos. You will focus on driving the effectiveness of the macro relationships with VEON’s top 10 vendors – ensuring there is consistency of approach, awareness of issues/disputes and leverage of best terms across the Group. You must be a seasoned leader and influencer as well as an experienced commercial lawyer who will be responsible for driving VEON’s strategy across its general commercial and outsourcing activities – both individually and through the team.
You will be expected to focus on continual improvement and use technology to support the activities and processes of the HQLT and the ILD. You will also be expected to be active in strategic and transformational forums and decisions at the HQ and strategic supplier level.
The stakeholders of our team are broad and include management and colleagues across our business. Key stakeholders include our commercial, strategic sourcing, procurement, technology and operational teams. You will have interactions with external firms, potential partners and our top global vendors. You will be expected to have a strong and deep knowledge of the Technology and Procurement teams and plan in addition to driving your business relationship with the Group CTO, CPO and OpCo CLO.
A bit about you.....
- You have exceptional commercial contract and negotiation skills and in the past, you have built, structured, drafted and negotiated complex commercial contracts;
- You have first-hand experience working significant commercial projects as well as risk management and mitigation;
- You are comfortable with a variety of commercial contractual provisions, including those covering data privacy, SaaS and complex service level arrangements;
- You have experience managing others and working cross-functionally to achieve strategic goals;
- You will have had significant exposure to the C-suite and have interacted at Board level;
- You have first class legal knowledge and analytic skills in the core areas of contract law, corporate and IT/IP and a high degree of self-awareness and influencing skills;
- You identify new areas or emerging issues for which new strategies or policies need developing to protect business and legal interests and you spot risks before they materialize;
- Being self-sufficient, proactive and leading comes naturally to you as you are used to working in quick-paced start-up environments (read: comfortable with uncertainty but nevertheless able to produce effective legal solutions!!);
- You have strong communication and influencing skills with the ability to interact at all levels within the organization (from junior staff to CEO);
- The ability to influence, communicate effectively and successfully engage with a dynamic, multi-cultural, energetic, enthusiastic and highly skilled workforce
- Leadership, people and relationship management skills combined with sensitivity to cultural differences which allow you to effectively create, build and maintain good working relationships with stakeholders;
- A strategic thinker mind set which will heighten your awareness of how your contribution supports VEON’s overall transformation objectives;
- A pragmatic approach to problem solving and determination to overcome complex legal issues related to our development and mobile financial services products; and
- An innate bias towards collaboration and the business smarts to know when and how to intervene to protect VEON.
- 7-10+ years as a commercial lawyer, ideally with both top law firm training followed by in-house experience;
- Experience managing contracting with top vendors in an organization with a global footprint;
- Qualified as a lawyer in at least one U.S. or European jurisdiction.
Essential education and experience
More about us:
Discover moments of awesomeness and our careers blog --> http://bit.ly/2lXbUxi
For the latest updates follow us on LinkedIn --> http://bit.ly/2rYhe7O
Do you want to be part of a team that engages with over 220 million customers across 10 rising markets? Do you want to pioneer new experiences to hundreds of millions of customers in the markets of tomorrow? We are doing things never thought possible.
Working at VEON demands a high standard of business ethics and adherence to our legal obligations, our values and our Code of Conduct and supporting compliance policies and procedures. Our pioneering spirit is embodied in our values to be customer obsessed, entrepreneurial, innovative, collaborative, and truthful. Being truthful requires us to act ethically, honestly, and with integrity.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity.
VEON does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, VEON employees or any other company location. VEON is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.