Automation Principle Engineer (Lead)
Imagine a world where illness is optional. At Viome, our goal is to digitize, decode, and decipher human biology to prevent, treat, and cure chronic diseases and cancer. In order to enhance our understanding of the origin and progression of diseases, we use a systems biology approach combined with mRNA analysis and our state-of-the-art artificial intelligence platform. Our direct-to-consumer service analyzes gene expressions (mRNA) in order to provide individuals with health insights and precision nutrition to live a healthier life. This platform of ~300,000 samples enables us to enhance our understanding of human biology as a system in order to develop predictive biomarkers, precision diagnostics, and precision therapeutics to prevent and intercept chronic diseases.
As an Automation Principal Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in leading and managing a dynamic team of experts in the field of laboratory automation. You will be responsible for driving innovation, optimizing processes, and ensuring the highest standards of quality in the execution of automated liquid handling tasks. Your expertise will guide the development, implementation, and maintenance of cutting-edge solutions, advancing our capabilities in laboratory automation and data management.
- Technical Leadership:
- Lead and manage a team to program, optimize, verify, and implement new methods on robotic liquid handling workstations.
- Provide guidance and expertise in designing advanced hardware layouts for laboratory processes.
- Mentor and coach team members in developing and validating pipetting techniques for accuracy, precision, and speed.
- Oversee the analysis of workflows, identify bottlenecks, and implement strategies to improve efficiency and throughput.
- Ensure comprehensive training programs are in place and maintain documentation for workflows.
- Spearhead the development and integration of advanced Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) capabilities.
- Technical Expertise:
- Serve as the subject matter expert, understanding existing processes in detail, and guiding the team in troubleshooting errors during production, including user errors and instrument failures.
- Make critical decisions and recommendations for production continuation, ensuring minimal downtime and efficient problem resolution.
- Provide hands-on real-time operational support to maintain production processes, addressing complex issues effectively.
- Lead the team in analyzing instrument data and results to proactively correct issues and optimize performance.
- Scripting and Automation:
- Demonstrate an expert level of proficiency in writing and optimizing scripts on various automated liquid handling platforms, including Hamilton, Tecan, Beckman, and others.
- Lead the team in handling hardware adjustments, repairs, and software development, providing guidance and expertise.
- Define and refine labware and fluid profiles for automated liquid handling instruments, driving innovation and efficiency improvements.
- Oversee efforts to optimize pipetting accuracy, precision, and speed, ensuring the highest quality results.
- Project Management and Collaboration:
- Manage multiple complex projects concurrently, ensuring efficient allocation of resources and adherence to timelines.
- Foster collaboration with other departments, developing comprehensive cross-functional solutions and strategies.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives across the team, optimizing processes and implementing best practices.
- Demonstrate exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Serve as the primary interface with upper management to communicate project progress, status, and key performance indicators.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience is required, with a strong preference for candidates with extensive hands-on experience in laboratory automation focused on liquid handling.
- Showcase expertise in defining labware and fluid profiles for automated liquid handling instruments.
- Proven experience with hardware adjustments, repairs, and advanced scripting.
- Demonstrate leadership in writing and executing complex test protocols.
- Exhibit a strong preference for candidates with experience in cellular and molecular assays, statistical analysis, and process monitoring.
$96,000 - $120,000 a year
At Viome, we are committed to pay transparency and equity. We comply with Washington State's Equal Pay and Opportunities Act (EPOA) and believe in providing fair and equitable compensation to all of our employees.
We believe that transparency in pay is essential to promoting fairness and accountability in our workplace. Therefore, we will provide candidates with the salary range for this position during the interview process. We also welcome and encourage candidates to discuss their compensation expectations with us during this process.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and are committed to creating a workplace that reflects these values.