ASSOCIATE SCIENTIST, MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY
San Francisco, CA /
Research – Chemistry /
Vir Biotechnology is a clinical-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Our current development pipeline consists of five product candidates targeting hepatitis B virus, influenza A, human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis.
Vir Bio is seeking a talented and highly motivated medicinal chemist with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry to join our Chemistry team. You will work within a highly collaborative group focused on infectious disease research. The successful candidate, under the guidance of other Scientists in the company, will participate in drug discovery efforts of chemical screening, hit characterization, and lead optimization resulting in the identification of novel therapeutics. You will work cross-functionally and be exposed to other groups within the company to advance programs from discovery into development.
- With guidance from our Scientists, conduct multi-step synthetic sequences toward target molecules, using appropriate purification and compound characterization techniques
- Plan successful and efficient synthetic routes to targetsApply independent thinking to optimize reactions and with guidance from their supervisor, resolve synthetic challenges
- Plan and select appropriate methods and techniques for performing experiments
- Actively participate in meetings to select new target molecules based on emerging data in order to improve key compound attributes
- Maintain a high level of scientific integrity and laboratory safety
- Accurately record data using Electronic Laboratory Notebooks
- Maintains project timelines and participate in/present results at team meetings
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Assists in maintaining the laboratory to conduct necessary experiments.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- In-depth knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry reaction mechanisms and retrosynthetic analysis
- Experience with multi-step synthetic organic chemistry
- Familiarity with modern chromatographic and analytical techniques, including, HPLC, LCMS and NMR
- Ability to work independently, as well as analyze, interpret, and present results
- Ability to work in a high paced team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize work from multiple projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work on inter-disciplinary and cross-functional teams.
- Desire and demonstrated ability to quickly develop new technical skills, ability to think independently, be results oriented and have strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications is required.
- BS/MS in Chemistry, or related field and a minimum of 6 years of industry experience
Vir is a company with a compelling mission, “A World Without Infectious Disease”. We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our business. This is reflected in our ongoing commitment to creating an environment focused on equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and inspired to contribute at their best, we will collectively deliver amazing results.
Vir is committed to attracting and employing a diverse workforce to strengthen our values and mission. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
The Human Resources team manages the recruitment and employment process for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that Recruiters not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.