RESEARCH ASSOCIATE – IMMUNOLOGY/ T CELL BIOLOGY
San Francisco, CA
Research – Human Immunology-Immune Monitoring
Vir Biotechnology is a clinical-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Our current development pipeline consists of five product candidates targeting hepatitis B virus, influenza A, human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking a highly talented and motivated immunologist to join our Human Immunology team to tackle challenges spanning discovery research and pre-clinical development. The successful candidate will join Vir’s efforts in discovery research aimed at development of novel therapeutic programs. This person will have significant interactions with both the discovery and clinical development teams. Experience in T cell immunology with a focus on antigen recognition is required. The candidate will also be expected to contribute to the discovery of novel T cell immunomodulators for infectious disease. Experience in human immunology with a focus on T cell assays as well as antibody development is desirable. Experience or knowledge of tumor immunology is preferred. The candidate will be expected to manage scientista and research associates.
- Planning, validation and execution of cutting-edge human immunologic assays in support of research programs.
- Development and management of numerous internal and external resources to support research programs.
- Perform scientific research of considerable scope and complexity.
- Maintains project timelines and actively participates in team meetings.
- Presents scientific work at internal meetings and potential partners.
- in peer-reviewed journals and at conferences.
- Applies in-depth knowledge of scientific methods, both quantitative and/or qualitative.
- Keeps thorough and accurate records of daily activities, experimental details, and results related to assigned projects.
- May provide scientific mentorship to Scientists and Research Associates.
- Actively seeks opportunities to continuously improve
- Actively manage animal models of therapeutic activity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Candidate must have a BS or MS and 1-5 years of relevant industry/academic experience with focus in either immunology or infectious disease.
- Must have a broad fundamental understanding of the immune response to infectious agents and cancer.
- Familiarity with T cell recognition of antigen
- Technical expertise with specialized immunology assays and methods such as polychromatic flow cytometry, cytotoxicity, T cell functional assay and antigen presentation assays, and other in vitro immunology systems is required. Familiarity with management and analysis of complex, multi-parameter data sets (i.e. systems biology) ideal.
- Experience working with human biospecimens preferred.
- Highly productive and organized in terms of number and volume of scientific projects responsible for, involved with.
- Must be a creative yet critical thinker, and able to work with direction to determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems. Strong organizational and planning skills will be necessary for success in this position.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and technical) and strong interpersonal skills are required.
- BS and/or MS in immunology, cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related scientific field.
VIR is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Human Resources team manages the recruitment and employment process for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. Recruiters are requested not to contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.