ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE & STRATEGY
San Francisco, CA /
Corporate Development – Corporate Strategy /
Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking an Associate Director, Competitive Intelligence & strategy to lead Competitive Intelligence activities across several areas of Vir’s existing infectious diseases portfolio, specifically Respiratory Diseases (i.e., COVID-19, Influenza) and T Cell Vaccines (i.e., HIV Prevention and tuberculosis). This role will also provide ad hoc support and insights for our Corporate Strategy & Annual Planning efforts. The role will require significant cross-functional collaboration and interaction with senior leadership and relevant stakeholders from across the organization.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Competitive Intelligence
- With input from relevant stakeholders, maintain and evolve existing processes for gathering, summarizing and distributing competitive intelligence relevant to Vir’s business
- Maintain and update competitive landscape analyses and competitor profiles for Vir’s therapeutic areas of focus and deliver accurate, timely, and actionable updates to key stakeholders (e.g., key readouts, safety signals)
- Attend and lead CI efforts at major conferences, including synthesis of key abstracts, publications and presentations to provide insights on emerging scientific and clinical data
- Communicate context, insights and objective analysis of competitive information to Program Teams and Senior Leadership throughout the organization to support research, clinical and program decision making
- Collaborate with partners in Business Development, Commercial/Market Development, Medical Affairs, Research, Clinical Development and Program Management to define key strategic questions and support competitive intelligence needs
- Strategic Insights
- Synthesize CI findings to support near- and medium-term strategic decision making across functions
- Conduct analysis and synthesize recommendations to support long-term Corporate Strategy (e.g., future disease areas of focus, platform technologies or alternate corporate structures)
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BS/BA with 12 plus years of experience OR MA/MS/MBA with 7 plus years of experience OR PhD with 8 plus years of experience (Advanced degree in a scientific or engineering field preferred)
- 4 - 7 years Competitive Intelligence, Business Development, Strategy Consulting or Buy Side experience in biotech/pharma preferred
- Demonstrated excellence in scientific evaluation
- Demonstrated communication, presentation and interpersonal skills required to present complex data to senior stakeholders
- Experience in Infectious Diseases particularly Influenza and/or other respiratory viruses, HIV and tuberculosis (TB)
- Experience in use of online data sources and scientific/market databases (e.g., Pharmaprojects, Biomedtracker, etc.)
- Ability to travel as required to meet business needs
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, one Friday a month paid-time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.