Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning
Engineering – Machine Learning /
Remote- Full Time /
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our remote-first Machine Learning team. You’ll be working with Data Scientists to progress models from research to production. Your work will impact the lives of over a million patients, and your solutions will support clinicians across our partner hospitals and will help drive Vital forward.
This is a full time, permanent position and can be based anywhere in New Zealand. Vital has embraced a remote-first way of working, and you can read more about how we achieve this, here.
Vital's software keeps patients informed during an ER or Hospital visit: AI-powered wait time estimation and medical to English translation, human-centered explanation of lab results, clinical decision support tools and more!
We’re having an impact on over a million patients each year, and growing. The opportunity to help us scale Vital further is yours for the taking. Check out our dedicated Engineering career hub to learn more about each of our teams, and how we work together.
Machine Learning at Vital
- The Machine Learning team is responsible for all Machine Learning research and delivery at Vital. Our ML Models are built to improve patient experience, make clinicians more effective and to support medical providers.
- We build & serve machine learning models using a modern, serverless stack. We use Chalk for featurization, Databricks as our data warehouse, Jupyter Notebooks for model development and serve applications on AWS.
- We work closely with product, and other engineering teams, who are based across New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design, develop, and implement machine learning solutions that align with company goals.
- Lead the technical delivery of projects, taking end-to-end responsibility for managing complex initiatives.
- Develop strategies for launching and measuring the success of Machine Learning models.
- Participate in the code review process, providing meaningful feedback to fellow engineers to maintain code quality and consistency.
- Engage with other engineers through pair programming, knowledge sharing, and technical support.
- Design and architect scalable and reliable machine learning solutions, leveraging AWS services and serverless technologies.
- Investigate, triage, and resolve technical issues, supporting the effectiveness of Engineering’s on-call rosters.
- Proactively identify and address code rot, bugs, and technical debt to maintain and improve existing software systems.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders of varying technical backgrounds.
- Evidence of excellent technical ability.
- Experience with Python, and potentially machine learning technologies like PyTorch, TensorFlow, CUDA.
- Experience with SQL, and potentially technologies like Databricks, featurisation platforms and BI tools like Mode.
- Experience with AWS services.
- Experience leading the technical delivery of machine learning projects, either independently or as part of a team.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent work experience).
- Every team member at Vital gets to share in our success in the form of stock options.
- We’ll provide you with the equipment you’ll need to work remotely or in a shared office space.
- Annual L&D budget to support your career development & a stipend for your home office set up!
- Employee Assistance Program to support your wellbeing.
- Paid Parental Leave
- We’re working on problems which have a real impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, patients get better care.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are important to us. Every team member must abide by our shared code of conduct. We believe this approach will help us attract and grow a diverse bunch of talented people that are supportive, calm, clear, empathetic, and results-oriented.
- We prefer working smarter, not longer. You're not expected to put in wild hours, that's just not what we do.
- We're constantly improving our systems and processes, and you'll be expected to continue to shape this as we journey together.
If you qualify for a role at Vital, we'll invite you to a round of interviews. There are three stages to our interview process, as follows:
Culture & Screening. This is where you introduce yourself, and we introduce ourselves and the company, explaining what we're about, why we're doing what we're doing, and the type of person we're looking for.
Technical. This is where we'll sit with you to talk about technical problems relevant to the role you're applying for, looking to see if you can demonstrate the skills required to fulfil the role.
Executive. This is where you get to meet our leadership team and ask questions about the company and its founders/leadership team.
We are committed to providing all candidates with constructive feedback during this process.
Vital was founded with the goal of providing modern healthcare software to providers and patients everywhere, regardless of identity or circumstances. We’re striving to build a diverse and inclusive team who are equally as passionate about our mission as we are - that being said, if you are excited about improving healthcare and patient experiences, but don’t think you tick every box in our job ad, please still consider applying - we’d love to hear from you.
Vital is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture and celebrate authenticity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristics.