We’re Vital. We build products that combine cutting-edge science and intuitive design in ways that make measuring health and taking action accessible by everyone. Our mission is to democratize technology that puts people in control of their health.
About Our Team:
At Vital, we thrive on change, operate on trust, and leverage diverse perspectives from the people on our team in everything we do. We operate at a rapid pace and we push key decisions to folks on the front lines across all of our teams. Our culture is fundamentally based on having a growth mindset - which means Vital is the kind of place where you can make an impact, somewhere you want to invest your talent and energy, and do your life’s best work. As a workplace, we challenge and support you to hone your craft and be a part of something bigger than any of us.
The science team at Vital is seeking a passionate and creative scientist to fill the role of Associate Scientist. We're looking for a teammate proficient in the planning and execution of experiments, maintaining equipment, preparing high-quality reagents and buffers, and performing various molecular biology and biochemistry laboratory technique.
As an Associate Scientist at Vital, you will be working with your Senior Scientist mentor to develop and validate of our next-generation assays. Your job will be to support your Senior Scientists mentor to achieve ambitious goals.
The role will involve substantial bench work to troubleshoot and optimize our next-generation assays. Work in a fast-paced lab environment. We are constantly optimizing our lab to help push science forward at unprecedented rates. You will be expected and encouraged to actively contribute to our product development direction, and present novel procedural and scientific concepts that will positively impact all aspects of Vital's operations.
What you'll be doing:
- Help optimize new technology for our diagnostic product
- Design experiments with your Senior Scientist mentor and the rest of the scientific team
- Execute and document experiments
- Quantitatively analyze and communicate results to fellow scientists and non-science members of the company
- Analyze our clinical samples in an FDA-compliant manner
- Help the scientific team develop and achieve goals to meet ambitious deadlines
- Maintain stocks of required chemical reagents from established suppliers, discover new suppliers and improve pricing/quality at all steps of development.
- Construct, modify and follow standard operating procedures (SOPs) in direct collaboration with the biochemistry development team
- Transfer methods to other internal or external partners and support collaborations through defensible result production and QC procedures
- Manage multiple tasks and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Communicate effectively to peers and leadership to support decision-making, including writing protocols and summarizing results in a report or presentation
What you'll need:
- Bachelor's or master's degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering, or related field
- Experience with execution of experiments in a wet lab (at least 6 months)
- Meticulously organized
- Competency in biochemistry and chemistry
- Ability to communicate results and concepts clearly to fellow scientists
- Experience maintaining an academic or industrial research laboratory
- Some successful research laboratory experience in a relevant field of study
- Experience with conducting experiments on, or maintaining instruments listed above
- Ability to multi-task, handle frequently changing job functions, and rapidly learn new techniques and approaches
Bonus points for:
- Ability to write and maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Appreciation of puns
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!