Optical System Architect
Optics & Photonics
We are looking for optical system architect with a strong background in both optical modelling and experiments to help develop new sensors and sensing systems for future Vital product. The candidate will be responsible for designing, building, maintaining, and documenting the optical subsystems and technologies in the company. A thorough end-to-end understanding of the optical sensing system, including the product's internal optical/electrical architecture and the optical interaction with the object being measured, is highly desired. The candidate would work with interdisciplinary teams to ensure successful completion, test, and deployment of Vital’s innovative systems. This may include Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Consumable Designers, Software Engineers, Service Engineers, and Biological Scientists. This position will require an innate ability to combine the inherent strengths and weaknesses of modelling and experimentation to arrive at sensible system design decisions.
What you will be doing:
- Design, develop, model, specify, and test innovative optical sensing systems;
- Optical bench experience assembling and troubleshooting complex optical systems;
- Contribute to the development of and the calibration process of advanced optical systems by continuous testing and data reporting;
- Writing and reviewing protocols and reports describing analytical sensing solutions contributing to regulatory filings;
- Transferring methods to other internal or external partners and supporting the collaboration through timely result analysis;
- Communicating analytical results to peers and leadership to support decision-making, and collaborating with development teams to support goals and timelines;
- Managing multiple tasks and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
What you will need:
- Masters or Ph.D. in Optics, Physics, Electrical Engineering or an equivalent field;
- 5+ years of academic or industrial experience in optical systems development;
- Full command of spectral, colorimetric, interferometric optical science, sensing, and systems;
- Extensive hands-on experience and a proven track record with optical systems;
- Experience in system design by maintaining a thorough understanding of the measurement platform through modeling and experimentation;
- Proficient with general purpose computation software: Matlab, Python, C++, etc;.
- Proficient using optical simulation software such as Zemax, Code V, LightTools, FRED, etc;
- Proficient English language skills with excellent written and verbal communication abilities;
- Ability to multitask, handle frequently changing job functions, and rapidly learn new techniques and approaches;
- Ability to communicate results and concepts clearly to scientists and nonscientists, can interface concepts with software engineers.
What would be desired for you to have:
- High-volume, miniaturized optical systems experience is a plus;
- Understanding and experience with non-linear optical systems and waveguides;
- Experience in design and deployment of signal and image processing algorithms;
- Working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices;
- Contributions to pre-clinical or clinical validation of a medical device or detection technique;
- Familiarity with multidisciplinary teams working to achieve a challenging research goal;
- Appreciation of puns.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vital is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
With our company size and growth you will have many opportunities to be an inspirational and collaborative team member. Desire to be a critical part of a growing company while continuously learning both personally and professionally? This is what you are looking for!
We are actively building our strategies, structures, and process so this role will be busy and expanding. You will also have opportunities to be a mentor for other team members and create something that changes the face of healthcare. You will grow as the company grows, you evolve as we evolve. We despise stagnation!
The role will be initially based at the University of Guelph in Guelph, Ontario, for approximately two (2) months, and then out of our main office in Mississauga, Ontario.
We’re Vital. We build products that combine cutting-edge science and intuitive design in ways that make measuring health and taking action accessible by everyone. Our mission is to democratize technology that puts people in control of their health.
This is a massive goal, and we're just getting started. We're looking for special people to join our team to help us make it a reality.
At Vital, we thrive on change, operate on trust, and leverage diverse perspectives from the people on our team in everything we do. We operate at a rapid pace and we push key decisions to folks on the front lines across all of our teams. Our culture is fundamentally based on having a growth mindset - which means Vital is the kind of place where you can make an impact, somewhere you want to invest your talent and energy, and do your life’s best work. As a workplace, we challenge and support you to hone your craft and be a part of something bigger than any of us.